Author Topic: Rain - or lack of  (Read 8876 times)

shelav

• Slimmers group
Rain - or lack of
« on: 17 Aug, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »
For the last few days my weather station in the garden has been recording a new record, to date we have had 92 days without any measurable rain (lowest amount it records is 0.3mm) and with no rain forecast the record is being broken daily.  The weather station was set up in June 2013 so this is since then.  I am in Partaloa.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Rain - or lack of
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug, 2020, 03:47:03 pm »
Your last rain was 2.7mm on Saturday 16th May.  That week you had 8mm.  El Chopo has a similar record but his rain guaue was faulty just that week so we can't tell

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug, 2020, 05:24:09 pm »
Even though we have had grey skies and spots of rain since it has not been enough to register - just enough to cover everything in red dust.  Dave drove through a rainstorm on the way to Albox one day but we had nothing at home

jimmymac

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug, 2020, 07:05:35 pm »
Been here 17 years and in that time can not remember any rain in August of any year here. Willing to be corrected if anyone knows more!

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug, 2020, 08:49:29 pm »
I have a feeling I have had thunderstorms here in August.  I will check back in my records (if I can get to them after being packed away due to building work).  It would not be in recent years, I don't think but I can remember having torrential rain and hail while up at the village pool...

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug, 2020, 09:01:15 pm »
If you look at the month section and the monthly averages I posted a few days ago it sows some quite large quantities in some Augusts

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug, 2020, 09:13:49 am »
On 23rd August 2018 we had a massive storm late afternoon, with 35mm of rain, the rambla near us was in full flow and garden furniture was blown over and most of the garden under water.  Power went off and so we were unable to close the blinds in the sun room so that flooded too.  Our granddaughter was here and she loved it and once the storm had passed she was outside dancing in the puddles!

jimmymac

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug, 2020, 04:00:57 pm »
Must be me then, as the old memory not up to much nowadays but still cannot remember any rainy days in August.  :undecided:

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug, 2020, 09:56:56 am »
I wouldn't remember either if I didn't keep weather stats!

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug, 2020, 10:48:54 am »
Same here, shelav!  It was a huge surprise when I moved here when an elderly Spanish man was horrified when I told him I had bought a house n Somontin.  This was while I was renting at Partaloa.  He said it would be cold and with snow.  As it was only about 30klms away I thought he was exaggerating.  He wasn't.  The first winter I had a metre of snow and I have recorded weather stats up here ever since.  I had no idea how localised the weather is due to the terrain here.

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug, 2020, 03:46:28 pm »
Frankie, that's what fascinates me too.  When they had bad storms in Piedra Amarilla which washed away parts of the rambla that runs through the village and is the opposite side of Partaloa village to us we just had grey skies.  I have been to Albox when water is gushing through the streets and get home to find it is totally dry.  It is fascinating when there are storms or rain around to sit on the roof terrace looking around to see who is getting the bad weather. You only have to drive a short distance to be in totally different weather.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug, 2020, 06:34:14 pm »
Yes, there have been many occasions when I have watched the black skies coming down th valley from Baza direction only to see them split with one lot travelling along the Filabres mountains in front of me and the Estancias behind me.   Hearing thunder and seeing lightning  heavy rain falling, whilst I have been sat in sunshine and had no rain at all....

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov, 2020, 09:24:17 am »
Well that was plenty, 9mm here, but very dirty

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov, 2020, 03:26:07 pm »
I doubt many would have escaped last night's deluge.  I was clearing the hosepipe which was draining my rain butts at about 3.30 this morning as they were overflowing into my garden, instead of the water channel.  I've spun all the towels used for mopping up in all rooms from 2.30 until about 4, when I gave up as it seemed to have mainly passed by and went to bed. 
The largest towels are out on the line (and I'm not an optimist!).
When I checked the rain gauge this morning it had overflowed so not sure of correct amount but it was over 55 mls.
Why do we always get the rain we want in one go instead of gradually?

Lmj19

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov, 2020, 03:39:54 pm »
Thunder woke me at 3.15, checked outside but no flooding. Vegetables are not damaged thankfully.  Next bit of rain is Monday by the look of things. Sun out now.