Author Topic: Boris wins another one  (Read 7448 times)

Drax

Boris wins another one
« on: 07 Jun, 2019, 07:59:19 pm »
Brexit: Boris Johnson £350m claim case thrown out by judges

The High Court has thrown out an attempt to prosecute Boris Johnson over claims he lied during the 2016 referendum campaign by saying the UK gave the EU £350m a week.

The Tory leadership hopeful challenged a summons to attend court on three claims of misconduct in public office.
His lawyers said he denied acting improperly or dishonestly.

Marcus Ball, the campaigner who brought the private prosecution, said the matter was "not over".
He crowdfunded more than £300,000 to bring the case.

Mr Johnson, a former Foreign Secretary, was handed a summons to attend Westminster Magistrates' Court on 29 May.

'Vexatious prosecution'
But at a High Court hearing in London, Lady Justice Rafferty and Mr Justice Supperstone overturned this decision.

Addressing Mr Johnson's barrister, Adrian Darbishire QC, Lady Justice Rafferty said: "We are persuaded, Mr Darbishire, so you succeed, and the relief that we grant is the quashing of the summonses."

Speaking outside court, Mr Ball said he had spent more than the £300,000 he raised on the case, leaving him in "massive debt".
In a statement, he later added that he would "keep fighting".

Some people just don't know when to throw in the towel.. lalalala "massive debt" indeed :crazy:

rt21

• Slimmers group
Re: Boris wins another one
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 01:25:13 am »
Johnson's lawyer said that "It was just a political claim open to and available for contradiction and debate, and it was, and is, for the good sense of the electorate to discount it if they choose so to do" And the court agreed.

Personally I don't have much time for politicians because they say one thing and do another. But I do feel that Johnson is just a serial liar who has little regard for telling the truth. I wouldn't believe anything he says. And if as seems likely he becomes Prime Minister then it just shows how low the bar has been set in picking ministers of high office.

:tiphat:

Richard

AnnieM

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 07:58:44 am »
Can’t argue with that Richard. 👍

The most frightening thing for me at the moment is that there really doesn’t seem to be anyone fitted for high office!  😡😡😡

Raymondo

« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 09:16:37 am »

AnnieM

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 11:34:25 am »
Very good 😂😂😂😂

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 01:06:18 pm »
 :clap: :clap:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 03:54:48 pm »
I can remember way back in 2017 many of us saying Trump would never be voted into office as he was not fit for the job.  Here he is, most likely to win a second term.  The thought of him and Boris getting into pissing contests is alarming to say the least.

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jun, 2019, 07:09:58 pm »
  The thought of him and Boris getting into pissing contests is alarming to say the least.

I don't mind them getting into pissing contests Frankie provided that they are facing one another when they do so

:tiphat:

Richard

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jun, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: