Author Topic: VACCINATION PROGRAMME  (Read 4436 times)

roger

VACCINATION PROGRAMME
« on: 28 Nov, 2020, 10:41:05 am »
VACCINE PROGRAMME

The Spanish Government has announced its draft plan for vaccinations.
It has 140 million doses on order, but the speed of roll out will depend on various factors, including how quickly the supply can keep up with demand.

The programme is planned to run from January to June.
It is in 3 phases and divided into 15 categories.

The first phase will start in January and will cover people in care homes, care workers, front line health workers and people in high medical risk.

Phase two will start in March, and will probably start with those over 64 years of age.

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: VACCINATION PROGRAMME
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov, 2020, 11:26:40 am »
Roger, do you know which vaccine this will be ie the latest one which does not need to be kept below freezing or the original where it has to be kept at below -70c?  I think one needs just one dose and the other requires a follow up injection about 3 weeks later.
Whichever one is rolled out it should make a tremendous difference.

roger

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov, 2020, 01:04:00 pm »
All we know about the vaccine is that Spain has 140 million on order.
We do not know which will arrive first, or how quickly the 140 million will be manufactured and delivered to Spain.

The guess is that the first supply, if and when approved, will be the Pfizer vaccine.
This has major logistical problems.
The published plan is that the first vaccinations will start sometime in January.
This will be phase 1 which will be care homes and front line health workers, plus high risk disabled people (and possibly also their close family members).

There is no decision yet regarding the order for phase 2, which it is planned will start in March.
The focus will be on reducing deaths and taking the pressure off the health system.
That means concentrating on high risk people first, probably people over 64 years of age.

As for reducing the spread of the virus, no-one yet knows whether the vaccine will do this.
We do not know whether you can still transmit the virus even if you have received the vaccine.
We will not know this for many months, maybe several years.

The vaccine will give you resistance to the virus, helping your immune system to fight it.
We do not know how long that resistance will last.

So precautions will last for a long time still, and expect more restrictions before the summer.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov, 2020, 01:28:57 pm »
I imagine it will also depend on how big the take-up of the vaccine is(whichever one it is), as I know many are unsure if it is safe, due to the rapidity of it's being rolled out.

roger

« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »
The UK health regulator official stated on live TV this morning that the approval of the vaccine was carried out in accordance with EU regulations, which the UK is still governed by.

In fact the approval has been given under the emergency procedure in these regulations which are intended to cover specific cases where the recipient is in a life or death situation.
Not for mass vaccinations.

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 02 Dec, 2020, 09:35:13 pm »
Thanks for your input Roger, much appreciated.  If vaccinations go ahead in Spain my husband is one of  the first in the queue, although I would want to know which vaccine they are doling out.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec, 2020, 09:25:44 pm »
I suspect it may be a case that we may not be given a choice as to which vaccine we get.  It will depend on which one the Health Authority has managed to buy.

roger

« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
First supply will be Pfizer but delivery in first phase will only be 10 million due to production problems. All customers including the UK face an initial 50% cut in supply.
The next will be a small delivery of moderna.

roger

« Reply #8 on: 04 Dec, 2020, 08:14:31 pm »
Need 60% coverage to get herd immunity.
Not expected until after June.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #9 on: 05 Dec, 2020, 10:01:05 am »
From what I am seeing/hearing, it might not be until autumn at  the earliest.  The logistics of having to store at minus70 or 80C will be a nightmare.  The hospitals may have the facility to store at that but I doubt the Urgencias around the country can do that.  Alternatively, how many will be able to logistically get through the very large batches before they degrade?   They are still giving flu jabs at the moment.
The Moderna Vaccine does not need storing at the same low level but the scramble for every country to get hold of it will be like WW3.