Author Topic: £50BN missing!!  (Read 4294 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator
£50BN missing!!
« on: 04 Dec, 2020, 07:43:14 am »
Call for probe into 'missing' £50bn of UK cash

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55173402

Nothing surprises me any more

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: £50BN missing!!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Dec, 2020, 02:03:48 pm »
My parents would never use a bank and every transaction was with cash or postal orders.  I did once persuade my father to open a bank account but when he went in to draw some money to buy a car, they would not give it to him on the spot, so he closed the account.  After my mother died and I was clearing her flat, I was finding bundles of notes all over the place, under the fridge, in the airing cupboard and even under a small section of the corner of a fitted carpet.  To this day, I doubt I found it all.  Maybe I am not alone and there are others who will not pay bank charges and prefer to squirrel money away in their homes..

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 04 Dec, 2020, 03:16:48 pm »
My Scottish mother in law was the same.  Whilst she was in hospital she asked us to bring her some clean nighties in and said they were in a bag in the airing cupboard.  We went in next day to visit, gave her the bag and she promptly pulled out  handfuls of bank notes.  She also had money hidden all over the house.

jimmymac

« Reply #3 on: 04 Dec, 2020, 05:48:20 pm »
I have a £5 note, change left over from my last visit to the UK. Wonder if that will help? :laugh:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
Oh, crikey, I have also got UK money - I do hope the money laundering lot from MetPol don't come for me :blank: :lips-sealed:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec, 2020, 01:41:36 pm »
Dad used to keep quite a lot of money in a safe in the house.  He had had several brushes with the taxman so didn't want to put it in the bank.  Going away to Tenerife for 3 months and after a spate of local burglaries he told us he had buried it in old paint cans in the garden.  Going to pick him up at the airport brother said "shall I tell him we've had their garden landscaped for them?"  :smiley:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec, 2020, 10:15:07 am »
 :cheesy: :cheesy: