Author Topic: TIE  (Read 5342 times)

roger

TIE
« on: 31 May, 2021, 11:12:52 am »
The UK and Spanish governments are urging people to change their green residence certificates for the TIE.

At the moment there is no deadline to do this, but it is clear that there will be.

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: TIE
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2021, 04:17:02 pm »
That's a shame.  The TIE is only for 5 years, I've ben told, whereas my green paper is for an indefinite period.  I cannot remember if my original card needed to be renewed every 5 years?

Lmj19

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2021, 04:52:59 pm »
That's a shame.  The TIE is only for 5 years, I've ben told, whereas my green paper is for an indefinite period.  I cannot remember if my original card needed to be renewed every 5 years?

To change over, the Tie should be for 10 years, then changed every 10 years due to the photo

JessicaH

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2021, 05:15:13 pm »
 My understanding from watching the video,  is that BE are " recommending " those who like travelling, should consider exchanging their green card for TIE.
Nowhere did I get the idea  is there an urgency or immediate Government decree in the mix.
Indeed to the contrary it seems to be the gestors and lawyers promoting this

roger

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2021, 05:21:58 pm »
If your residencia was permanent then the tie is valid for 10 years, the same as a Spanish dni.
If your residencia was less than 5 years old then I THINK the tie is valid for 5 years in the first instance.
Remember the original arrangements was that we had to change to a tie.
This was put on hold due to the pandemic and it was optional, clearly to avoid long queues at the extrangeros office.

JessicaH

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2021, 05:30:04 pm »
Unable to locate video but found this......... might put a few minds at rest......

" But in the future, the TIE is expected to simplify administrative processes and, especially in the current climate, facilitate the hassle-free exercise of rights such as border crossings or international travel.

With travel between the UK and Europe now seeming more difficult than ever, Spanish and British authorities have wanted to highlight how a biometric document that´s scannable by border officials and serves as a photo ID, could save time and trouble, especially as not all authorities outside of Spain are necessarily familiar with the older green residency documents."

So if not a constant traveller, especially to other countries within the EU, then don't bother. We certainly won't be.

Drax

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:11:00 pm »
Not sure which video you are looking for, perhaps it is this?
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=244578514090120

JessicaH

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2021, 07:10:51 pm »
Thx Drax, that was the one.
Can completely understand to those who like travelling it being " recommended " or " encouraged" to upgrade as am sure  it will speed up going through customs.
However as it stands at moment it is not a legal obligation and people shouldn't be worried that it gives us less rights or anything nasty is going to happen because their lifestyle deems it  unnecessary

Quietman

« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:17:07 pm »
We've done it !!!  REALLY, REALLY easy. To complete the documentation is easy. ... loads of info on the internet.
People at the office in Murcia were REALLY, REALLY helpful and helped us to complete all of the documents.
For us, we thought that it was better to do it earlier, rather than later.  And ....... 3 weeks after the first appointment, we had our TIE card.
My opinion is ....... get it done ASAP.  Nothing to lose (IMHO).

Lmj19

« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:07:26 pm »
It still confuses some officials. My wife was told she must have one, she has the little green credit card sided one. Showed her Irish passport and tried to explain.lol

roger

« Reply #10 on: 01 Jun, 2021, 11:38:16 am »
The original decision was that the change would be compulsory.
Then it was changed to optional for now.
In my opinion its sensible to make the change because the tie is an official ID, unlike the green sheet or card.
I have used my tie twice for official ID.
The Spanish officials recognize it immediately without the need for a passport.

Lmj19

« Reply #11 on: 01 Jun, 2021, 04:15:27 pm »
I would agree about changing it eventually, I probably will when I’m old enough to get the S1 so will do both, as I previously said, my wife won’t as it doesn’t apply to her.lol

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jun, 2021, 10:01:24 am »
Whenever I've been asked for ID I produce my driving licence which has a (fairly) recognisable photo and I've never had a problem.  I haven't once been asked to show the green bit of tatty paper.  I will get my TIE but maybe not until later