Author Topic: Who remembers?  (Read 4946 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Who remembers?
« on: 03 May, 2023, 09:53:44 am »
I can vividly remember sitting on the floor with possibly 7 other kids, in a darkened room and in front of a 9" TV in a massive case, watching grainy black and white pictures of the Queen's  Coronation.  We ate sandwiches (mostly egg anf cress) prepared by our mothers who sat behind us in a variety of chairs brought in by the neighbours..  I think I was about 9.  We didn't dare to speeak as we knew that what we were watching was a momentous occasion.   I doubt any of us realised just how momentous it was.
I don't think there is as much anticipation surrounding this new Coronation, or that it has the same feeling and buzz about it. Maybe we are too far removed from it here in Spain. 
Are there any other Octegenarians who think like me?
I shall be watching again this  satturday on a colour TV and minus the egg and cress sandwiches.  How has the World moved on now...

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Who remembers?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2023, 03:59:45 pm »
We watched it at Grandma and Grandad's house.  They got a TV for the occasion.  I shall be doing my best to avoid it.  I think the French had the right idea  :grin:

jimmymac

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2023, 05:49:54 pm »
Possibly the French did at the time but they don't seem to be too impressed with Macron now. Imagine though if the UK had got rid of the monarchy and ended up with someone like Johnson as Head of State!  :laugh: :laugh:

Wolfie

« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2023, 06:29:21 pm »
Unfortunately, my little sister died during the night so we were sent to stay with my aunty who had a tv.  I remember that they watched it but my mind was elsewhere.  A very sad occasion for my family.  I'll be watching this one though.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2023, 01:12:27 pm »
Watching on saturday, I was struck by how long the service was and am staggered that myself and the other kids had sat through such a long service when we were so young.  I suppose times were different back then and we didn't dare disrupt proceedings...  I found it hard  to sit through it this time and once the crown was sat on Charlie's head I gave up until the procession set off back to the Palace.
Loved the concert last night...

JessicaH

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2023, 08:41:33 pm »
It must have been the magic of the TV because recalling the day it was drab and the ceremony SO incredibly boring. Even for adults.
But all the neighbours were cramjed into our living room.
Having sat through it in 1953 just had to do so again....NO pain :cry: no gain. :laugh:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2023, 11:05:13 am »
 :cheesy: :grin: Yes, there must have been at least 15 of us crammed into mother's friends house.  I remember eating egg sandwiches with spring omions and have been unable to eat them ever since...
Jimmymac, that would be a horendous scenario...