Author Topic: Centipedes  (Read 719 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Centipedes
« on: 29 Aug, 2024, 07:51:12 pm »
About a month ago, I was stung by one in the night.  I sprayed bedroom liberally with Orange Maton, Using the wholecanover 3 days, before going back o my bed.  Last week a live one was discovered in there and I put it outsideusing a dustpan and brush (legs get caught in thr brush).  I thought it was te one which got me.  Today, another one much smaller was found in there, dead.  I now wonder if anyone knows whether they lay eggs or give birth to live centipedes and how fast do they grow?  If there is anything which might make me go back to UK it's the thought of them running rampant iin my bedroom.

Also, can  anyone who has been bitten/stung by one tell me how long it took for it to heal?  Mine isn't!

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Centipedes
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug, 2024, 09:57:04 am »
The life cycle of a centipede can be broadly categorized into three primary stages: the egg, the nymph or juvenile, and the adult stage. The journey begins when a female centipede lays her eggs, often in the soil or within protected areas where they remain concealed from predators. Depending on the species and environmental conditions, the number of eggs can vary widely, with some laying just a few while others deposit several dozen. After a gestation period which can range from days to weeks, these eggs hatch into nymphs. These nymphs resemble miniature versions of the adult centipedes, albeit with fewer segments and legs. As they grow and progress through various instars, they add more segments and legs, gradually taking on the appearance of the mature centipede.

https://insecta-inspecta.com/centipedes/centipede-life-cycle/

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug, 2024, 03:54:17 pm »
I got bitten by one on the back of my neck, just in the hairline, whilst in bed earlier this year, it was sore for a few days and the two marks took a couple of weeks to disappear.  They are the creature I despise more than any other over here, our bedroom is on the first floor so no idea why they feel the need to come up there!

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep, 2024, 02:49:31 pm »
Thankfully,over the past few days the bite site is now healinveg.
I totally agree about fearing them the most.  I can cope  with  large rats, spiders, wasps, snakes and scorpions but these centipedes give me the willies!!!
I had no idea they climbed shelav.  One more reason to be afraid, very afraid!

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep, 2024, 07:32:24 am »
large rats, spiders, wasps, snakes and scorpions but these centipedes
  Great advert for this area!!! :shocked:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep, 2024, 02:42:34 pm »
Us roughty toughty, folk  who live in the Campo Judi, are made of strong stuff... :wink: