Author Topic: Is Brexit a threat to peace in Ireland?  (Read 8723 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Is Brexit a threat to peace in Ireland?
« on: 31 Aug, 2019, 08:13:31 am »
A very interesting piece in the Guardian, apologies if it has been posted here before.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/23/dear-boris-johnson-watch-these-six-films-before-you-rip-up-the-irish-backstop-and-trigger-violence

I think we, should I say the brexiteers, are playing with fire.

AnnieM

Re: Is Brexit a threat to peace in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 08:51:54 am »
Sadly there are still so many people think that the Irish border question is irrelevant, our PM included.  I really fear for the turmoil that is ahead for the whole of the UK, not just Ireland

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 09:36:43 am »
What amazes me is those politicians who claim that there is no need for a border.  It is a singld market area, it has to end somewhere and the border cznnot be between EU and Eure beczuse Eire is a member.  We either dtay in the single market or have a boder, NI and Eire or NI and UK.  No matter how you lok at it that is the choice.

AnnieM

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 09:39:52 am »
Seems obvious to me, but what do I know?  :rolleyes:

Doreen

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 09:46:24 am »
What amazes me is those politicians who claim that there is no need for a border.  It is a singld market area, it has to end somewhere and the border cznnot be between EU and Eure beczuse Eire is a member.  We either dtay in the single market or have a boder, NI and Eire or NI and UK.  No matter how you lok at it that is the choice.

You having a problem with your keyboard Judi or your fingers???? 🤣

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 12:30:19 pm »
Fingers on the tablet

Raymondo

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 01:02:23 pm »
Judi, Boris and his Brexiteers have absolutely no interest in Ireland north or south other than the  12 DUP   MPs  who are keeping his government afloat.
Boris has proved many times that he doesent understand or care what may happen if the border ever goes back in place.
Its only the people who lived through it on the ground who  never want to see a border back.
Neither do the relatives of the almost 1500 members of the forces and  the 3000  in total  deaths involved.
All Boris has to do is call the DUP bluff and put a Border down the Irish sea and  problem solved.
Most farmers and businesses of all persuasions  on both sides of the border would be happy with that.
Just a few hardline bigoted Unionists holding things up.
The DUP would bring the goverment down but there is going to be an election one way or the other so just get on with it.
Will that happen ?? Probably not.

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug, 2019, 03:49:27 pm »
Only time will tell if Brexit is a threat to peace in Ireland.

If a hard border has to be imposed by the E.U. as a result of a no deal Brexit then the border issue might spark anti British sentiment in the province. To a certain extent this sentiment is already smouldering as many catholics perceive that the Conservative  Government is not treating both sides fairly. And I have to say that it is a perception that I share. I don't see how the Government can claim to be an honest broker between both sides in Northern Ireland. Their claim in my opinion is a complete sham

:tiphat:

Richard

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep, 2019, 11:02:17 am »
I can well remember the bad days in Belfast when I was told not to speak loudly when we went into the city centre as it may be a problem if certain factions heard my English. I remember being stopped on New Year's night travelling along the 7 Mile straight between Belfast and Antrim (no motorway back then)and being stopped at a road block.  We did not know if it was Guardi or IRA as it was dark and we could not tell.  I sobered up very fast.  Thankfully it was the police and while they were checking who we were another vehicle shot past and we were left while the chase was on to catch them.  It was not a comfortable place while the troubles were killing and when property was segregated by 20ft high walls.
I know that on the whole, neither side would ever want to return to those days but there are still those who would almost welcome an excuse to.  Mainly the younger ones, who see those days as exciting and if a hard border is brought back it could be that excuse..

Raymondo

« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep, 2019, 07:54:51 pm »
Perhaps this video might make Brexiteers and the general public in the UK more aware of what may be coming down the line and why the Backstop is so to  vital to protect the Good Friday Agreement   for the Irish and the EU. And why there will be chaos  again after any border is introduced.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ready-for-what-it-is-completely-unknown-brexit-and-the-border-1.4002694
« Last Edit: 01 Sep, 2019, 08:05:17 pm by Raymondo »

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #10 on: 01 Sep, 2019, 10:28:18 pm »
A good video Raymondo

But I doubt whether it would have much impact on the mainland public who seem by and large not to be interested in either Northern or Southern Ireland.

:tiphat:

Richard

knowall

« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 12:16:57 am »
Pat Rice's house has always been divided by an invisible border. That article does say a lot:
"It is completely unknown", so it's all conjecture.
One good thing for him is that since the Belfast Agreement he can have a passport for each end of the house.

Raymondo

« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 01:37:17 am »
Knowall, that  just proves my point and confirms what  others have said.
The words of Thomas Grey's poem spring to mind.
" When ignorance is bliss ,  tis folly to be wise "
Your sympathy for  Pat Rice is touching.
His house and lands were of course  not  " always " divided as you put it  before the uninvited  and unwelcome  " guests "  came to visit his country.
He is however not the only one who has two Passports as you put it so elequently .
There were almost a quarter of a million applications for Irish Passports from English Citizens in the first three months of this year alone and they were  not all from homesick Paddys.
No conjecture there.
You must have read Jack Ravens book " How to master the art of not caring and lead a happy life "
« Last Edit: 02 Sep, 2019, 01:41:38 am by Raymondo »

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #13 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 08:59:45 am »
I suspect, unless you'd been there during the troubles, it could be hard to visualise the atmosphere at the time.  Having a flat tyre in an area which did not have your own Faith, in the dark, was very frightening.
I spoke to my ex-inlaws yesterday and put it to them that the backstop situation might be an excuse for some to start the bombing again and was told that it had already started in some areas. 

knowall

« Reply #14 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 11:42:42 am »
I suspect that the disunited UK might well be on the change thanks to Brexit. The reunification of Ireland might be on the cards, which would solve the border problem, but that requires a referendum and we know what trouble they can cause!

In the meantime, Scotland may secede and rejoin the EU on its own behalf. I would wish them well.
England and Wales become little Britain and out of the EU. Everyone is happy.

As far as Judi's OP goes -  peace in Ireland: It's anyone's guess. As per the linked article - "It is completely unknown".
However, terrorists have been carrying on since the GFA, at a much lower rate, thank goodness. They haven't gone away and they never did need much of an excuse. It's what terrorists do.