Author Topic: Is Brexit a threat to peace in Ireland?  (Read 8722 times)

Doreen

Re: Is Brexit a threat to peace in Ireland?
« Reply #15 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 11:59:46 am »
Nationalist politicians are preparing for a referendum. I just wish the Northern Ireland politicians would start working together, so many communities on both sides work together.
No one wants to turn the clock back, there are people who have worked hard to create a better life and future, unfortunately there will always be bigots, and a lot of those are in power.

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #16 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »
I read an interesting article the other week in which the IRA have been asked to consider nominating some independent candidates of their own choice to stand in place of their own candidates at the next General Election. If elected the nominated candidates would only serve for as long as the IRA deemed necessary and would only vote on Brexit issues. The intention of this would be to nullify the DUP vote in Parliament on Brexit.

There are of course a lot of ifs and buts in this proposal but it nevertheless is an interesting concept

:tiphat:

Richard

jimmymac

« Reply #17 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 04:28:53 pm »
No doubt about Brexit being a threat but even more so if it is a no-deal one and then I believe violence is inevitable at some point.
I can perhaps understand that the uk government wants to hold the no-deal exit as an negotiating tactic but not if peoples lives are the bargaining chips!!

SOD THEM.

:cry:   

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #18 on: 02 Sep, 2019, 08:06:32 pm »
No doubt about Brexit being a threat but even more so if it is a no-deal one and then I believe violence is inevitable at some point.
I can perhaps understand that the uk government wants to hold the no-deal exit as an negotiating tactic but not if peoples lives are the bargaining chips!!

SOD THEM.

:cry:

The trouble is that when you have a prime minister who is serial liar you don't know whether a no deal exit is a negotiating tactic or an end game objective.

:tiphat:

Richard