Author Topic: Bumpy landing at Alicante on Friday  (Read 6640 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Bumpy landing at Alicante on Friday
« on: 15 Sep, 2019, 02:09:20 pm »
Coming in to land the plane suddenly just dropped like a stone.  Felt like it dropped a long way, Lots of screaming.  Then it shook and bounced around.  Captain announced there was a, weather system he would have to go around.  Absolute slince as we edged past huge columns of cloud then a very bumpy landing.  Ended up in a part of Alicante airport I haven't been to, about 2metres below all the other planes.  Got on a Jetway after 35 mins , no passport control.

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: Bumpy landing at Alicante on Friday
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 01:54:32 pm »
I had visitors who went back to UK on thursday, pm, via Alicante.  They were one of the last flights to take off before airport was closed and it was touch and go the plane would take off.
They also missed the A7 closing at Lorca.
I told them they should have bought a lottery ticket...
Having been in a plane which overshot the runway in Tucson in the early 70's, I would never wish to repeat the exercise.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 04:36:31 pm »
I was once, years ago, on a plane in US.  The pilot explained that a warning light said the landing gear wasn't  down but he thought it was..  we would have to circle the airport until we are sure.  Second pilot came along the gangway, lifted the carpet and a hatch and climbed down.  Came back up looking non the wiser.  Pilot said still not sure so we will fly near the tower and they will use binoculars.  He then told us we really don't need wheels to land.  It landed OK

knowall

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 04:58:50 pm »
Wow, sounds like you're lucky to be alive. Good job it wasn't Friday 13th! - oh, wait...

jimmymac

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 05:11:38 pm »
If I had been on Judi's plane Friday 13th would have been in my thoughts, glad to hear that you are safe and well Judi_bk.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 06:06:55 pm »
But it was landing in Spain where Tuesday 13th is unlucky not Friday :cheesy:

AnnieM

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 07:47:54 pm »
But it was landing in Spain where Tuesday 13th is unlucky not Friday :cheesy:

👏👏👏👏👏👍👍

knowall

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 09:14:26 pm »
It may have been a microburst. There is video of at least one occurring during the recent storms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst
I hope the pilot reassured the screaming passengers that Friday 13th is a "normal" day in Alicante.  :whistle:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep, 2019, 10:04:27 pm »
Oh wow  we could have died!  But we didn't  :grin:

jimmymac

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep, 2019, 05:21:15 pm »
Don't care if it's Tuesday 13th or Friday 13th, I have enough superstition to cover both!!!