Author Topic: Holiday Alert!  (Read 5527 times)

BRIMAR

Holiday Alert!
« on: 28 Nov, 2019, 06:37:21 pm »
The following dates are national holidays here in Spain

Friday 06 December - Constitution Day
Sunday 08 December  - Immaculate Conception.
Monday 09 December  - Immaculate Conception (Holiday)

Drax

Re: Holiday Alert!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Dec, 2019, 07:54:47 am »
Lidl Albox store website says:
Festivo cerrado / Holiday closed:
· Viernes / Friday 6/12
Festivo abierto / Open on Bank holiday:
· Lunes / Monday 9/12 de 09:00 a 21:30

Mercadona Albox
Friday:Closed
Saturday:9:00 - 21:30
Sunday:Closed
Monday:9:00 - 15:00

Dia Maxi Albox
Closed Friday
Open Monday: 09:00-21.30

Nothing known about Coviran Arboleas as it is a co-operative organisation and no details on National pages.

It'll probably be chaos tomorrow so plan your weekend shopping accordingly  :thumbsup:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 04 Dec, 2019, 09:19:51 am »
Out of interest does anyone know the rules about opening on "red" days?  A hairdresser in Albox was threatened with a fine, some years ago, for opening on a red day; yet Decathlon advertise that they are open 365 days a year and on some holidays Lidl are open

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 04 Dec, 2019, 10:18:31 am »
One of the rules I heard was that if you sell food or newspapers you can open everyday of the year except 25th December. The criteria is will it be worth opening, customers vs costs wise.

Certainly the petrol stations and bars will be open usual hours.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 04 Dec, 2019, 03:33:13 pm »
Maybe the places which stay open think it is worth paying the fine?
I do know that shops are not permitted to close more than 2 days running.   It is an old law whereby the bread would not keep more than 2 days and the people had to have fresh bread.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec, 2019, 12:32:59 pm »
Can anyone explain why monday is Immaculate Conception?  I failed maths at school but even I can work out that 9 months on is not 25th December... :undecided:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec, 2019, 01:45:45 pm »
A practicing Christian friend of mine told me Jesus was actually born in October??   Celebrations at this time of year, Yule, Midwinter pre-date Christianity.  As an atheist, I enjoy Yuletide with trees and Santa.  The rest of you can celebrate the birth of your imaginary friend however you like.

Drax

« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec, 2019, 02:20:26 pm »
Contrary to popular belief, the Immaculate Conception celebrates the conception of the Virgin Mary and not her son, Jesus Christ. Christians and especially Catholics believe that on 8 December, Saint Anne, the Virgin Mary's mother, became pregnant with Mary through natural means.

According to the New Testament, God chose Mary from the moment of her conception to be the mother of Jesus and so Mary was, from the very first moment of her existence, pure and without sin.

The date (which was proclaimed in 1854 by Pope Pius IX) is exactly nine months before Mary's birth, on September 8th, which is also celebrated in Catholic countries as the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
 :cool:

The date falls on Sunday - Monday is just a "bank holiday" and some shops will be open all or part of the day.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec, 2019, 03:04:45 pm »
Interesting Story! Thanks for sorting it out for me.  I am with Judi with regard to religious festivals but do enjoy the holiday around them...