Author Topic: When Greta met David  (Read 5258 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: When Greta met David
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec, 2019, 01:05:38 pm »
An interesting interview!  It has just been on Sky.
I have just discovered a map showing how climate change is affecting temperatures.  Have a look at Climate Stripes - Spain, on Google.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec, 2019, 02:02:46 pm »
I can remember how terrified and angry I was at her age by the threat of nuclear war.  That was just a threat but climate change is happening/has happened.  If I was her age I would be mystified and furious by the lack of action.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec, 2019, 08:55:20 am »
The situation in Australia is very frightening.  The fires are from Adelaide round to Brisbane which, if you look at a population map is where most people live

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50585968

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec, 2019, 09:14:05 am »
I was as well over the Bay of Pigs debacle.  I was convinced we were on the brink of a nuclear war.
Two friends of mine are due to fly to Sidney tomorrow to stay with daughter and family!  Their family have been told to evacuate twice, then been allowed t return home.  I suspect they'll not be getting a very restful holiday... 

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec, 2019, 10:36:46 am »
OMG it is everywhere https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/?fbclid=IwAR08gkYn6ZM_rcFhAMLA9u5NkhCQIQMwTwOmYYcy-AzKEhF-g8c12-2Kvd0

Tick the box for lightning activity.  I heard a report saying the fires were creating their own weather systems with lightning storms

« Last Edit: 31 Dec, 2019, 10:40:37 am by Judi_bk »

Drax

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec, 2019, 10:50:23 am »
This BBC news article also says a lot about the situation out in Aus.  :cry:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50938504

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan, 2020, 12:00:49 pm »
OMG!!  Seeing the map of fires, it seems as if the whole country is alight!!! 
Death toll is now 18 and people are being evacuated after being trapped on beaches.  No rain is  forecast and firefighters are saying it will be impossible to put these fires out. 
My heart goes out to the firefighters, many of whom are volunteers, who are working 12 hour shifts and have been for months.  It must be impossible to shut off from the horrors they have seen, so doubt they could have been getting much sleep.
Yet, Trump says there is no such thing as Global warming.

FOGGY

« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan, 2020, 12:49:56 pm »
Can anyone explain a link between climate change and lightning strikes.
Just a quicky on the Cuban thing, America were actually the actuators of that crisis. Americans had nuclear warheads aimed at all the big Russian cities all located on the Turkish border. So the Russians were perfectly in their rights to put some in Cuba aimed at all the big cities in America. It wasn’t till the Americans backed down and got rid of there’s in Turkey that the Russians took theirs back home. So basically America were the war mongers, but it all backfired.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan, 2020, 01:54:38 pm »
I read that it was the intense heat that created "dry lightning" although the Daily Mail website predicted torrential rain and storms - so probably still dry lightning

Judi_bk

• Administrator

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan, 2020, 06:36:16 pm »
I am waiting for an email from friends who were flying to Sydney yesterday.  I doubt it will be a stress free holiday for them...

Foggy, I agree that it was the US who escalated the situation during the Cuban crisis.  I did think it was looking as if one or other side would set off a mega firework and we'd all be doomed, which was why I was so scared.  Thankfully it did not happen but it was close....

FOGGY

« Reply #12 on: 03 Jan, 2020, 12:52:40 pm »
Blimey judi, it’s a vicious circle

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jan, 2020, 02:49:01 pm »
Yes, Foggy and even if or when they put out this year's fires, it will happen again next year or the year after.  And apparently, February is usually their hottest month.  December (Winter solstice) equates to their June (summer solstice).

I also read that sea creatures are dying due to the heat of the water, Abelone in particular(think its a big oyster).

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan, 2020, 11:13:42 am »
I've still heard nothing from my friends who flew out to Sydney on the 1st Jan. :undecided: