Author Topic: Duvet manufacturers...  (Read 4864 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Duvet manufacturers...
« on: 07 Jan, 2020, 02:09:48 pm »
Why, oh why do manufacturers of duvet covers not make the opening at the bottom a sensible size, preferably all the way across?  I have spent nearly half an hour trying to stuff a double winter duvet into a hole I could barely get my hand in.  Not helped by the fact the cover is a thick brushed cotton one.  Once I can get the 2 far corners in I peg them to keep them in place while trying to force the rest inside the minute opening.  GRHHHHH!
I am going to get a Spanish lady in my village to make the opening longer as this is no good for my blood pressure...

Drax

Re: Duvet manufacturers...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan, 2020, 02:26:19 pm »
 :hi: Happy 2020 Frankie,

I agree and thanks for the tip about the pegs.. I always find the duvet comes back out of it's corners by the time the bottom bit is in place.  :dunno:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »
Drax, you are welcome!  It is far easier with the thin spring/autumn covers but with my 15tog (it is cold up in these 'ere hills!) it is a marathon which needs to be fortified with a chipito of cognac before attempting the exercise...

Clare Shirley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan, 2020, 02:41:36 pm »
I dont understand what the problem is

i turn the duvet inside out put my hands in the top corners grab the duvet then pull the duvet cover over the duvet shake it and then tuck in the corners and do the poppers or buttons.

it takes 30 seconds to do a single and a little bit more for a kingsize

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jan, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
You make it sound so easy Clare.  When I was at college I had a roommate who was Polish.  Thet have had duvets much longer than us.  Her duvet cover had a diamond-shaped hole in the middle which made it very easy to push the duvet in.  The hole was covered by flaps of homemade lacy and it was very pretty.  This was before we had them in the UK.

I think I will buy one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duvet-Cover-Opening-Matching-Pillow/dp/B075QH7S92

Drax, I use Frankie's peg method but our duvets are superking and I use 12 pegs

Clare Shirley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan, 2020, 06:06:12 pm »
I can see me doing an instructional video LOL

Ive taught the girls how to do theirs, I will admit doing a superking is wee bit harder I used to stand on the bed do the same and then shake it out (shake it off shake it off) and it was easier.

I remember seeing a video where you rolled it

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan, 2020, 08:36:30 pm »
I bought 4 large pegs (like the ones used to clip bags shut but much bigger) when we changed to a super king-size bed - I don't think I could manage to change the duvet cover without them on my own - clip each corner then give it a good shake from side to side and top to bottom, do up buttons and remove corner clips and perfect!

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan, 2020, 03:35:10 pm »
I have tried your method as well Clare and it does work, however you still need a wider opening at the bottom in order to do it, especially if it is a very bulky high rated tog.  I do not understand why these openings are so small....
In Germany, where my son lives, they do not have double size duvets, just singles so each person in the bed has their own.  That way there are no arguments as to who is hogging it...

Clare Shirley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jan, 2020, 05:23:45 pm »
we do that in summer both have two kingsize 3.tog and 1.5 tog which means no touching LOL

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jan, 2020, 07:03:29 pm »
I think it is a great idea to have 2.  I had not come across it until I went to visit my son.  He is married to a German girl so to her it's what she has always been used to.

FOGGY

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan, 2020, 11:01:30 am »
I can’t remember who said it but I don’t bother putting it in anymore, I just lay the duvet on to of the cover so much easier. 

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan, 2020, 12:16:07 pm »
Oh, Foggy, wish I'd thought of that before I struggled the other day.... :laugh: