Author Topic: Now that the nights are drawing in ......  (Read 5073 times)

nanaspain

Now that the nights are drawing in ......
« on: 06 Nov, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
Hi all -  Whilst out today I heard one person saying how bored they got now that it gets dark so much earlier - and they didn't know how to pass the time.   Well .... on the basis of 'use it or lose it', I have, in recent years, signed up to many of the FREE courses now on offer online.  These are called MOOCS and for those of you who might still want to improve your CV they can be very useful, but for people like myself, who have retired, they offer a wonderful range of topics which you can learn about without any pressure.   
They are offered through www.futurelearn.com and each course is run by an internationally recognised university anywhere in the world.  In recent years I have studied Tudor History, the life and times of various poets and authors, archaeology and anthropology, Chinese history, basic Italian and Spanish, creative writing,  etc. etc.  The courses are free, unless you want to purchase a certificate for evidence of learning.  Each course lasts 3-8 weeks, with each week's module taking 2-4 hours to complete.  There are no exams only multiple-choice quizzes which are only to help you check that you have understood that week's learning (and which can be skipped over if you don't fancy them).  You also get to make your own comments/ask questions and, if you want, contribute to a dialogue between the other course students from across the world.  It's fascinating.   You can opt out of a course at any time you like.
If you go to futurelearn, then all you have to do is create your own account, look through the list of courses and select which you might like to try, and you will receive regular emails from 'Lily at Future Learn' to tell you about any new courses coming on line.
No excuses now to be bored, or to have 'little grey cells' which think that they can retire too !!   :thumbsup:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Now that the nights are drawing in ......
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov, 2019, 06:29:50 pm »
I'm going to give this a try.  Tudor History first I think.  Thank you

Ukulele

« Reply #2 on: 06 Nov, 2019, 08:08:48 pm »
Great information. Thanks for sharing.  :smiley:

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov, 2019, 03:22:05 pm »
In the UK we have the U3A which is a fantastic organisation for those of us who are retired. They offer an endless number of activity groups in each city, town and district of the UK. As you say nanaspain there is really no excuse for boredom.

I belong to the local U3A Spanish group, which is tutored by a retired teacher who taught Spanish in the local grammar school. Although we only meet twice a month for 2 hours in the community room of the local Tesco supermarket, it is surprising how much you learn.

:tiphat:

Richard

nanaspain

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan, 2020, 04:53:44 pm »
Just a reminder for those of you who expressed an interest in these programmes, (including Judi B-K) The Tudors course starts today and you can sign up for free.  It is being run by the University of Roehampton and the lead presenter is Suzannah Lipscombe - of TV and literary fame.  It's really good.
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/the-tudors/3/todo/59204

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan, 2020, 06:10:22 pm »
Thanks Nana

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan, 2020, 09:16:48 am »
I can remember one of the incredible English teachers I had in my last year t school (three quarters of a century ago!), who once told us there was no such thing as being bored, just boring people.....  Spot on!
« Last Edit: 18 Jul, 2020, 02:32:20 pm by frankie »

Ukulele

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan, 2020, 11:23:34 am »
and how was your maths teacher  :wink: :undecided:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan, 2020, 12:59:09 pm »
She'd totally given up on me even before the xmas break!!!