Author Topic: D Day  (Read 5221 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator
D Day
« on: 06 Jun, 2019, 02:49:03 pm »
I think it is wonderful to commemorate  those that fought for our freedom.  My Dad was with Bomber Command.  .  MY Grandad lost a leg at Ypres

I know some won't like this but I tried to find out how many German soldiers died but couldn't find anything. Does anyone remember them. They were all somebody's son  brother, husband,father and none had a choice but to fight.  The punishment for contentious objectors in Hitler's Germany was almost cerfainly death, probably of you and your family.

There are documented atrocities perpetrated by German and Russian soldiers, I am sure they are true but a minority.  The victor writes history

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: D Day
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jun, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »
How strange, Judi!  My son lives in Germany with his German wife and I asked a similar question ie did Germany have a day to mark its dead in both wars. They don't.  I think it is a subject not talked about much and the Mother.in.law posted sometime last year on F/B that she was sick of being blamed for what had happened in her country before she was born.  I assume her father must have fought in WW2.

Raymondo

Re: D Day
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun, 2019, 04:16:36 pm »
Five and a half million soldiers and including civilians  between  6 and 8 million.
Mostly innocentswho just obeyed orders.
RIP all.