Author Topic: Windows7  (Read 10767 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Windows7
« on: 17 Jan, 2020, 02:26:53 pm »
Yes, I know but I like it.  It is on my desktop, on which I do all the graphic and photo stuff.  It has been warning me for ages that it would no longer be supported but then on Wednesday, it said goodbye.  Everything seems to work except no screen saver/desktop photo.  It is just black which is a tad disconcerting.  What should I upgrade to?

Drax

Re: Windows7
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan, 2020, 02:45:56 pm »
Primarily it depends on a number of factors, like windows 8 or 10 (there wasn't a 9) run V...E....R.......Y   S...L........O..........W with less than 2gb of memory, and the more the merrier... my windows 10 all have at least 8gb.

Having said that I'm still using WinXP laptops for certain software that I'm used to from way way back and although there's no official support, they still advise about updates, they are connected to the internet or course and never had any problems.

So I'd suggest not to worry about it, if it's not broke, don't try to fix.  :wink:

Technically, Win8 didn't really work. Even now in my Win10 control panel it has a "feature" for me to backup and restore to Win7 so I wouldn't bother with eight.  :shocked:

« Last Edit: 17 Jan, 2020, 02:49:21 pm by Drax »

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan, 2020, 03:15:52 pm »
Thanks, Drax.  Is there any way of getting rid of the black screen?

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan, 2020, 03:24:20 pm »
As a slight aside on this topic of what specifications you need to run operating systems, "her indoors" came back from a UK trip alone with a Win10 from PC World with 1gb memory.

When we went back over there last year the guy on technical help just shrugged and said they, "PC World", couldn't do anything to help but he would "in his own time" - It's a tricky upgrade for what they sold her, not just remove and replace under a "hatch".

As we didn't have the time, Steve Hayes obliged at a reasonable price on our return.

I notice even today PC World are selling Win10 laptops with 1gb memory.  :thumbsdown:  :crazy:

Drax

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan, 2020, 03:26:47 pm »
I can't tell without looking why it's got a black screen, try right click on the desktop screen and then the "personalise" settings.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan, 2020, 04:44:57 pm »
Thanks, that worked

Drax

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan, 2020, 05:03:58 pm »
 :hi: :thumbsup: :cool: