Author Topic: Gazanias  (Read 10111 times)

rt21

• Slimmers group
Gazanias
« on: 23 May, 2019, 02:13:48 pm »
I am seeking some advice from the green fingered gardeners among you

I bought a couple of gazania plants yesterday in small plastic pots with the intention of planting them up into larger pots today. One of them seems to be wilting badly and I don't know whether to give it a good watering or not because these plants are supposed to be drought tolerant. I don't want to soak the plant in water before repotting  or water the compost well in the new pot in case it doesn't like too much water.

Any advice would be most welcome

Ta

:tiphat:

Richard

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: Gazanias
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:08:00 pm »
I always soak any plant in water  before planting in a pot or into a larger pot.  If th plant is not itself damp it is highly unlikely to  b able to soak up any water from the new compost. 
Where did you buy them ry21?  They are among the flowering plants which survive winter up here, in  the ground, so are great value.  I have been looking in the markets but not seen any.

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
Thank you for the advice Frankie.

I took a chance yesterday afternoon in soaking both gazania plants in water before repotting them.

The one that was wilting badly seemed to be a little perkier this morning with the flowers upright and in full bloom. However, after returning home this evening after a day out, the plant was wilting even more than yesterday with all the leaves and flower stems hanging over the rim of the pot. I am no gardener but even to my eyes it looks in bad shape. It's a pity because the flowers are very vibrant and stunning. The other plant seems to have settled into its new pot quiet nicely.

I bought the two plants from the garden centre next to Longos at a price of 1.50 euro each

Richard

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2019, 09:40:18 am »
Just a thought - they may have been kept in a large greenhouse before being taken to the G/C near Longos and may not have been acclimatised sufficiently to outdoor conditions..  Don't give up on it, put it in a shady spot, sheltered from wind (many plants are killed off by our winds), don't give any more water until you can poke a knuckle into the pot and pull it out dry.  Other than this I cannot think of anything else to suggest.  Let's be honest, plants you can buy here are a lot less than you'd pay in UK, so €1.50 should not break the bank.... :wink:

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2019, 05:26:32 pm »
Thank you frankie for the advice.

Although I have had the 2 plants in a semi shady area over the last couple of days both looked worse for wear this morning. However, having just returned home after a day out, both have perked up again. I am beginning to wonder whether my presence has a detrimental affect on them  :laugh:

The big test will come after Tuesday when I return to the UK. In the past I have bought geraniums, which I have watered well and left in the shade whilst I have been absent. On returning I have found that all survived and then thrived with a little tender care. After reading that gazanias are drought tolerant I took the chance of buying a couple with the intention of storing in the same way until I return in a few weeks time.

Thanks once again.

Richard

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:38:58 am »
Drought tolerant plants are only that after they are established.  All need watering to start them off....

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2019, 01:15:54 pm »
Yes you make a good point frankie and one that was in the back of mind also

This morning my neighbour has kindly offered to water them in my absence so I am hoping that they will flourish while I am away.

Incidentally they are no longer wilting as they were so fingers crossed we have got over the critical stage of repotting them.

Thanks once again for helpful posts.

Richard

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2019, 07:14:40 pm »
De Nada! :grin: