Author Topic: Maura quits AUAN position  (Read 9415 times)

Drax

Maura quits AUAN position
« on: 09 Apr, 2020, 05:24:22 pm »
Maura Hillen has retired as president of the Andalusian Urban Abuses Association (AUAN), after 11 years in office during which she has obtained recognition from the British Government for her work. However, after taking this step aside, the paths of Maura and the association will continue to be linked as she will continue her work in the organisation, this time as an external consultant and spokesperson for it, and to help the new president, the Chiclanero. David Fisher.

“There have been many years of emotional and physical wear. There have been many trips, many meetings, and above all many concerns. I did what I could. I am glad to think that we have solved many problems for many families. I remember how things were at the beginning, with the shock suffered by foreign buyers when they learned that their house were illegal, that they had no papers, and that they were in danger of being demolished, "Hillen said in a statement in which she reported her decision.

However, the former president stated that she leaves the association feeling satisfied with her work for so many years, since "united in a common cause and with the help and advice of our Lawyer, Gerardo Vazquez, and with the help also of political parties, IU, the PSOE, PP and later Citizens, other associations, professional schools, academics, and more people, we have been able to prevent many houses from falling under the stake", she assured.

The association has also achieved "five legislative changes to make urban planning more sensible", something for which the former president is happy and grateful for. "I am glad, and I appreciate it, as well as to thank the members of AUAN and its association's board of directors for their support over the years," she added.

New president

The new AUAN president is the British David Fisher from Chiclana, current president of a local residents' association (ChiFRA) and press officer of the non-profit entity Age Concern Spain, Costa de Luz Sur. A choice undoubtedly successful judging by the experience of the new president, since the municipality of Cadiz holds the sad record of having 15,000 'illegal' homes, according to data from the organisation.

"Although Maura has set the bar very high, I am very grateful for this opportunity to continue in the struggle at the Andalusian level where there are some 300,000 illegal homes , many of which lack sanitation, clean water and electricity, or cannot obtain their deeds" said the new AUAN president.

"Likewise, I am grateful for the opportunity it gives me to do something to help solve the serious urban problem that exists in Chiclana, with some 15,000 homes without drinking water. Currently, this is a problem aggravated by the existing health crisis. What do you the City Council intend; that citizens leave their homes for drinking water at the source, as before? I am also very concerned that, given the contamination of wells used by many homes, there was a possibility that the Covid 19 virus would infect us by that route" Fisher says.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Maura quits AUAN position
« Reply #1 on: 09 Apr, 2020, 06:44:39 pm »
She has worked very hard for this cause for a long time.  She probably came here intending to retire