Author Topic: F1 - It's been a while!  (Read 10752 times)

Drax

F1 - It's been a while!
« on: 05 Jul, 2020, 07:58:01 pm »
And the race today in Austria was an absolute classic. Enjoyed every minute, I usually just watch the first few laps, doze around until the 14-18 lap pitstops and then the last finishing few, but every lap today seemed to have something going on.

Those kerbs seem to make a big difference, wrecking the cars set up and with 9 out of 20 retired today most had mechanical problems. Mercedes told their drivers to drive down the tarmac between the white lines, which isn't a simple thing to do at those speeds.

Next week is the return "match", same time same place, will they do something with those kerbs or will we have another exciting race like today - love it!!
🏎🚗🚓🚘🚔

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: F1 - It's been a while!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul, 2020, 10:38:03 am »
Yes agreed!  Just a pity I cannot see it live any more.  I'm hoping the next 2 at Silverstone will be live as normally the UK race is a live one...

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul, 2020, 02:26:28 pm »
Best for a long time.

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul, 2020, 06:45:50 pm »
Todays race was very good as well, I particularly liked the bit on the first lap when the two Ferraris decided to mate  :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: :whistle:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul, 2020, 07:02:00 pm »
I'm with you on that one...  Having said that I do not want this season to be a foregone conclusion.

Drax

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul, 2020, 05:17:29 pm »
Well.... Hungary was slightly different, Verstappen crashing on the grid line-up lap and having his nose and front suspension repaired with around 20 minutes to the start and then finishing second - well done him  :clap: :clap:

Hamilton did what Hamilton usually does and I particularly enjoyed him lapping the 5th placed Ferrari driven by Vettel with 12 laps to go  :rofl: :clap: :thumbsup:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul, 2020, 09:34:04 am »
I couldn't have said it better....   The best 'racing' is towards the middle and end of the grid rather than among the front runners...

jimmymac

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul, 2020, 05:20:31 pm »
Sorry, to be the odd man out but apart from the start I usually find F1 boring.... :laugh:
However, everyone enjoys their own sport.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul, 2020, 09:27:31 am »
Yes, I agree - football does not do it for me, neither does tennis, golf or any other sport.  I belonged to a club which used to host many races at Brands and I worked in race control even during F1 in the days when it alternated between Brands and Silverstone.
I would never begrudge anyone who prefers any of the Sports which I find boring....

Drax

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov, 2020, 03:42:59 pm »
Bahrain - What an horrendous fire, accident, glad Romain walked away from it and gosh I've never seen anything so bad since I remember watching Nicky Lauda - Jeez!!

Lmj19

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov, 2020, 04:51:08 pm »
Very lucky man. How did Grosjean walk away from that. It’s getting a bit chaotic now!

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov, 2020, 01:33:50 pm »
Drax, I also thought back to Nicki Lauda.  That was back in the days when F1 was nowhere near as safe as it is now.  The addition of the 'cage' in cars a couple of years ago, while not liked by many, undoubtedly save Grosjean's life.  He is so lucky to have just had burnt hands as it did seem like a very long time before he got out of the car (although possibly only seconds).

Drax

« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec, 2020, 07:40:14 pm »
George Russell  :cry:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #13 on: 07 Dec, 2020, 10:56:51 am »
I missed yesterday-s race but heard on news that the guy who had taken Hamiltons place (he tested positive for covid), did really well and would have won the race if the pit lane team hadn-t let him down. He was in tears after the race finished as he came 9th. I do hope that means he will be given another chance when teams are picking drivers for next year.