Author Topic: Women's World Cup Football  (Read 10816 times)

Drax

Women's World Cup Football
« on: 14 Jun, 2019, 03:44:20 pm »
It's been great to watch some of the games, the ladies are just as good players as the men's teams, not paid so much and not prima donnas.
 :thumbsup:  :clap:

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: Women's World Cup Football
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun, 2019, 10:07:08 am »
Unlike the blokes, their win has not been on any of the front pages of the papers - just relegated to the back pages.  Th girls still have a long way to go still.

jimmymac

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun, 2019, 04:25:16 pm »
Sorry Drax but not over-impressed with the standard of football or being of equal skills to the men's teams. Don't expect them to be as this is the fact in most sports, but who cares only the PC and equal rights brigades will.
You are correct about the overpaid prima donnas in the men's game though... :nod:

Ukulele

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun, 2019, 10:51:12 pm »
I've really enjoyed watching the Women's World Cup. I have loved the open football, with each team attacking when they can. For the most part, I think their skill levels are great. They have much more strength than I would have expected, and there determination is not to be faulted.  In some games there is a lack of consistency .... school girls football .. and in some games it is a bit like women playing girls ... that doesn't really happen at at a Mens World Cup anymore .. tho it used to.

But as someone who once was pretty good at football .. I don't think I would enjoy testing myself against these players. I think that they are far better than I was.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun, 2019, 11:36:25 am »
It's early days yet for Women's football on the World stage so I wouldn't be expecting any more.  Good luck to the Lionesses and well done for getting where they are...
I wonder how the salaries compare?  Nowhere near the grossly over inflated, obscene salaries of the men.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun, 2019, 03:06:31 pm »
I think sports stars are grossly over paid but above a certain level they are no longer one person, they are a business  employing quite a lot of people

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun, 2019, 03:21:03 pm »
Does that mean when I win the EuroMillions I will need to employ people? :dunno:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun, 2019, 03:35:15 pm »
Yes to answer all the begging letters  :rofl:

Drax

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun, 2019, 03:42:55 pm »
*My* main problem about the term "grossly overpaid" is that their profession is short lived: from late teens to early thirties, let's say 15 years to build your pension pot. Then there's the Agent fees, the tax they pay etc.. Sports sponsorship or a great advertising USP is what you need to get into the "big league" of money earners (think Beckham, Rooney, Gazza..any others??)

I've quite a few Premier League (or old First Division) friends who are/were Newsagents / Decorators / Electricians / Stationery Salesman / Fork Lift Truck Hire / Insurance salesmen => normal jobs once they retired from footy... Five of them played for their country at World Cup level but not all get jobs on the BBC or Sky as commentators or analysts.

jimmymac

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun, 2019, 05:59:23 pm »
Can remember the old days when the max wage for male players was £20 per week, So I don't begrudge the ordinary player on the good money they get nowadays, but do think some of those stars? on the obscene wages of £200 to £300 grand pw are a bit overpaid though!  :crazy: :crazy:

:tiphat: