Author Topic: Is "mental health" a new topic?  (Read 4515 times)

Drax

Is "mental health" a new topic?
« on: 17 Mar, 2021, 06:30:15 pm »
Everyone seems to have it these days (or maybe it's just an excuse).. listen to Dark Side of the Moon, it's nothing new to have lunatics in your garden.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Is "mental health" a new topic?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar, 2021, 07:01:57 am »
I think it is good that it is being talked about more now.  Born in the 40s, my Granparents' generation had been through 2 World wars a great depression etc, it wasn't spoken about but there were a lot of mental health problems and an awful lot of suicides including my Grandad, one aunt, two great Aunts and an Uncle.  My mother had a breakdown in her teens and her sister was treated (horribly - ECT!) for depression in her middle age.  Its good to talk - better to talk

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar, 2021, 12:47:39 pm »
Thank goodness it isn't the taboo that it once was.  The advice to get drunk and get over it, or pull yourself together is a thing of the past. My grandfather also hung himself, leaving my grandmother to bring up 7 children, of which my father was the youngest.  She died young, probably of exhaustion. 
Both my Grandfathers had been in the trenches of the Somme, they lived about a 20 minute drive from each other but never met.

Dark Side of the Moon was one of my favourite LP's.  I loved the Moody Blues

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar, 2021, 08:45:27 pm »
I'm not sure the Moody Blues ever had a song or album about mental health issues, but certainly Sid Barrett was the subject of "Shine on you crazy diamond"

jimmymac

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar, 2021, 05:10:52 pm »
Quite sure my Grandfather suffered from it also as he went through 4 years of hell in the First World War in France but would never discuss his experiences of it. The "War to end all Wars" they called it, how wrong they were.  :cry:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar, 2021, 12:34:28 pm »
Those serving in both World Wars could not speak of their experiences.  Those in advanced years are only able to now which is just as well as we all need to be told of the horrors, as it must not be allowed to happen again..