Author Topic: Silverstone  (Read 10478 times)

Drax

Silverstone
« on: 03 Jul, 2022, 09:22:32 pm »
Well that race had just about everything, including family members being there for the weekend.

"just about" because snow was missing - everything else turned up: rain, sun, crashes, ambulance, red flag, tyre problems, moaning Verstappen (nothing unusual there), Hamilton on the podium, and Carlos with his first P1 in 150 races, winning his first race in 150 starts.

Well done lads, great enjoyment !! 

Lmj19

Re: Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jul, 2022, 09:32:00 pm »
Yes an exciting race.
Guanyu was extremely lucky.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul, 2022, 02:13:22 pm »
Certainly one of the best I can recollect in many, many years of following the sport.  Those final few laps were amazing, with the World's best drivers fighting for place.
I can honestly say I was not just mentally exhausted but also physically as I was leaping to my feet so many times during the race.
How anyone can dismiss the sport as 'boring old cars following each other around and around' is beyond me......
As for the crash, less than 10 years ago, Guanyu would not have walked out of the medical centre after being checked over, with just minor bruises and cuts.  It is due to the tireless lobbying by the Drivers assn. and Frank Williams, to install a cage for safety purposes that it finally happened.  I wonder if Lewis would also have escaped when the wheels on Verstappen's car landed on top of his cockpit just last season?   I know Albon was taken to hospital after his crash into the barriers but no consequent report on his status?
I can remember only too well in days gone by when drivers died, not just in F1 but also in club meets, without all the safety measures currently in place....

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul, 2022, 04:09:43 pm »
Quiz: When was the first motor race; clue: any motor race?

Lmj19

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jul, 2022, 07:15:05 pm »
According to google

The Paris–Bordeaux–Paris race of June 1895 has sometimes been described as the "first motor race", despite the 1894 event being decided by speed and finishing order of the eligible racers.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jul, 2022, 02:04:20 pm »
I had always thought it was at Brands.  It used to be a motor cycle track initially until the decision was made by the owners back then to 'permit' those with 4 wheels to use their track.

Lmj19

« Reply #6 on: 05 Jul, 2022, 02:30:34 pm »
I had always thought it was at Brands.  It used to be a motor cycle track initially until the decision was made by the owners back then to 'permit' those with 4 wheels to use their track.

Motorcycle races 1920’s. track done in 1932. My dad one of the first racers.

Drax

« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul, 2022, 09:54:05 am »
The first motor race occurred as soon as the second car left the production line  :rofl: :tiphat:

Lmj19

« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul, 2022, 12:04:53 pm »
The first motor race occurred as soon as the second car left the production line  :rofl: :tiphat:

:grin:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jul, 2022, 08:33:35 am »
Lmj19, Then he probably knew my Father, as he used to race bikes there at that time!  He raced there up until I arrived, when he sold his bike and bought a car, a Standard 8 which cost 100 pounds.  He got over 100 when he sold it in the early 50's, but his real love was bikes.  My son now races his bikes there...

Lmj19

« Reply #10 on: 07 Jul, 2022, 09:07:04 am »
I have memories of the racing at Aberdare park.
The event managed to attract some of the best road racers in world, John Surtees, John Cooper, Malcolm Uphill, Neil Tuxwoth, Mike Hailwood, and in more recent years, King of the mountain John Macguinness, TT winner Steve Plater, Ian Lougher and Dan Cooper to name but a few .
This would be late 1950’s early 1960’s my earliest memories.
I can smell the castrol R oil now!.lol

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul, 2022, 08:54:31 am »
To follow any form of racing, you Bikes and me Cars, I think it may be in our blood.  My youngest son has his racing bikes but is a slow car driver who has 4 speeding fines.  My eldest son has a 'heavy right foot' like me and we have 2 speeding fines each.  :wink:

Lmj19

« Reply #12 on: 08 Jul, 2022, 04:38:19 pm »
I loved motorbikes as a kid, but since I was 17 it’s been cars. I rallied cars from age 18 to 32. Some track races too.  Built my own rally car. Had a few nice fast cars over the years.
I drive much slower now!