Author Topic: Deal or no deal?  (Read 9163 times)

Drax

Deal or no deal?
« on: 27 Aug, 2019, 02:12:50 pm »
Loads of rubbish spouted today with the "We want to stop a No Deal" opposition parties... maybe I missed something but Teresa Can't had a Deal which they all voted against... it's either a deal or no deal, perhaps time to get Noel Edmonds involved with 27 EU little red boxes?

jimmymac

Re: Deal or no deal?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 04:56:31 pm »
Yes they did vote against TM's deal but that was because they were all playing party politics and putting their party before country. However, it's possible that some of them may have realised that a No Deal is imminent unless they get off their arse and do something about it.
Anyone who wants a no deal is a flipping idiot but worse than that I believe a traitor to the UK. IMO :tiphat: 

knowall

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 05:37:09 pm »
Politicians created this problem, they should be able to solve it.
108 people voted leave for each 100 that voted remain. If politicians decide to remain after giving the electorate the choice, who are the traitors?

jimmymac

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 05:43:17 pm »
Did the 108 vote to make themselves poorer, if they did then they are idiots!

knowall

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 07:10:09 pm »
Did the 108 vote to make themselves poorer, if they did then they are idiots!
According to many the 108 are idiots.
They've also been called:
Gammon
Racists
Nazis
Dinosaurs

But name calling is all a bit juvenile when it is the ballot that counts, don't you think?

jimmymac

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 07:26:17 pm »
I don't have a problem with those that voted leave in the referendum but do with those that support  a no deal Brexit as I think it will make life more difficult for people in the UK  and EU. :cry:

AnnieM

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 07:45:30 pm »
What worries me most at the moment is that Back Door Boris and his cohorts are treating the Irish border question as a complete irrelevance.  Have they even read the Good Friday Agreement? 😡😡

knowall

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 08:09:58 pm »
It is irrelevant, that is, if you believe Boris, who says they will not create a physical border, and Leo who says he will not create a physical border. Personally, I don't believe politicians any more.

I've read the GFA and nowhere does it stipulate that customs checks cannot be made at the border.
What did you read in the GFA Annie?
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136652/agreement.pdf

The border could be treated as a special case under WTO terms of trade because of the Belfast Agreement.

AnnieM

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 10:08:50 pm »
I don’t claim to be any expert, and maybe you have a better understanding than me, but from my perspective Boris is making it impossible to have anything other than a no deal exit.

In order to protect north/south co-operation and avoid controls on the Irish border, the UK agreed to protect the Agreement in all its parts and "in the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support north/south cooperation, the all-island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement."

Despite the EU saying that this backstop stands until the UK comes up with a viable solution to border controls, even after more than 3 years of supposed ‘negotiations’ the UK is unable to come up with alternative solutions.  All Boris does is try to kick the ball into the EU’s court and make this cockup their fault.  How is it the EU’s fault?  They are not kicking the UK out, it was entirely the UK’s decision.

There is no democracy left in the UK, it is becoming a dictatorship where even the Westminster Parliament (which I have no love for) is being denied its democratic rights.

Raymondo

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug, 2019, 10:18:01 pm »
That about sums it up Annie. Really good post.

knowall

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug, 2019, 12:24:17 am »
I'm no expert either, Annie. But you suggested Boris hadn't read the Belfast Agreement and had missed something.
Having no perceptible border, as is apparently now the case, should be acceptable for the Belfast Agreement.
Even in the case of a WTO exit from the EU, no one is putting up a border, as they say. But we all know the EU will insist on one to protect their single market.

What you quoted was from the failed withdrawal agreement which has been voted down 3 times.
It's a mess isn't it?

AnnieM

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug, 2019, 07:10:29 am »
You’re not wrong there.  A self-inflicted mess at that. 😩😩

Raymondo

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug, 2019, 09:14:32 am »
The reality is that the English in general have no interest in Ireland or  NI and have very little knowledge or interest in why a backstop is needed.
It is only temporary until a more suitable solution can be found .
Boris only interest is in the 12 DUP  MPs who are keeping the Government afloat and in power  ( for the moment )
3 years of promising alternative arrangements for the border  with no idea what they might be.  Just like the big red bus , false  promises and lies .
Why would anyone take their word for anything.??
Boris has a hard long road to travel before Halloween . A bit like the Titanic waiting to arrive.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/why-is-the-backstop-needed/
« Last Edit: 28 Aug, 2019, 09:16:50 am by Raymondo »

AnnieM

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug, 2019, 09:41:38 am »
Thanks for that Raymondo, a good read.

rt21

• Slimmers group
« Reply #14 on: 29 Aug, 2019, 11:10:17 am »
In short I have no idea whether there will be a deal or not

Unfortunately we have a chancer and a serial liar as a head of our government. So I take with a pinch of salt whatever he says

:tiphat:

Richard