Author Topic: any twitchers  (Read 5112 times)

Ukulele

any twitchers
« on: 05 Nov, 2019, 04:35:33 pm »
Driving out of Oria today , I saw what I think was an Olive Woodpecker. It had a very distinctive yellow back and a red head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_woodpecker#/media/File:Olive_Woodpecker,_Sakania,_DRC_(12404103034),_crop.jpg

I have seen plenty of green woodpeckers around here, but have never seen one of these before. The back was yellow, not green.

Now, Wickpedia says these birds aren't to be found around here ... they are from southern Africa.

Any ideas?

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: any twitchers
« Reply #1 on: 05 Nov, 2019, 07:15:30 pm »
I am a bit of a twitcher but that isn't in my books which just cover Europe .  You should email  ABS, Andalucian Bird Society abs.sociedad@gmail.com.  They are mostly British Twitchers, I am a member and they are happy to answer questions or look at photos

Ukulele

« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov, 2019, 07:32:11 pm »
Thanks, I've done that.

A similar thing happened to me years ago in Derbyshire.

I spotted what I now know to be a red backed shrike, sitting on a telephone wire, These 'butcher birds' were unknown in Derbyshire then, and were very rare in other parts of the UK.

18 months later, the field where I saw my bird was swarming with twitchers.

FOGGY

« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov, 2019, 11:31:28 am »
I’d like to see one of these, as said seen a few greens but no other. When I hear Unmistakable chatter I’m outside like a shot with binos.

cagzok

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov, 2019, 10:47:46 am »
I have a Greater spotted coming to the feeders.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov, 2019, 04:45:10 pm »
We used to get them in our garden in Warrington, I love their red bums