Author Topic: Small Coins  (Read 5606 times)

Drax

Small Coins
« on: 14 Feb, 2020, 02:10:33 pm »
One of the more interesting topics on the Spanish lunchtime news I saw today was an item about how the EU are doing a study into getting rid of the 1 and 2 cent coins.
Everything will be at zero or five, presumably rounded up and down. Thoughts about this were obtained from the Spanish local market traders (fruit and veg.).

In a separate item, the farmers from all over Valencia province drove their tractors into Valencia city to protest about the prices they receive for their produce. The city came to a standstill with roads blocked for 6km all around.

Chatting to the locals the opinion was that Spain needs to exit the Euro, take control and get back to Pesetas.
 :undecided:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Small Coins
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb, 2020, 04:41:21 pm »
Total Entertainment told me that their bank, Cajamar,  they will not let them pay in coppers at  all.  At Walk 4 Life we pay in coppers from our collection boxes at Unicaja.  We put them in a plastic bag, seal it and they have a machine that counts them

Drax

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb, 2020, 05:38:06 pm »
 :hi: Judi,

You might be missing the point - the one and two centimos coins will be phased out completely - no longer minted or used.

If I didn't understand your problem with the banks taking them, sorry, although I did understand your reply about how you currently bank your donations.  :thumbsup:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »
I hate the 'brown' money and put it all into a pot which I take to charity shops.  I would think twice maybe at putting larger denominations in a pot for charity.
I like you optimism Drax at the 'rounding down'.  I would not hold my breath.

BRIMAR

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb, 2020, 07:39:33 pm »
I once got told when paying for 2 coffees with some "brown coins" that the bar would not accept payment with these coins.

On the other hand, I was once asked in the Albox Merca Todo Shop if I would pay for my purchases with as many of the "brown coins" as I could because the owner never got enough of them in his till. 

Drax

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb, 2020, 08:00:28 pm »
I once got told when paying for 2 coffees with some "brown coins" that the bar would not accept payment with these coins.
my answer would be take it or leave it - ¡Tómelo o déjelo!

Meerkat

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb, 2020, 01:35:51 pm »
I use them to pay for parking at the  airport!

FOGGY

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb, 2020, 04:23:18 pm »
About time, they are stupid coins just like the half p