Author Topic: Panic buying?  (Read 7856 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Panic buying?
« on: 13 Mar, 2020, 10:26:16 am »
I shopped in the Olula Merkies yesterday with my usual list of requirements, one of which was loo rolls. I was amazed to find the shelves empty.  Even the thin ones you stick your fingers through had all gone.  As I only had one roll left at home I decided I'd go down at opening time this morning.  I was there at 8.55 and the downstairs parking was full!!!  Upstairs was not much better, about three quarters full.
I went straight to the loo rolls and they had plenty.  A man with a trolley was stood in front of the ones I like, filling one of the large trolleys with them.  I asked if he had a stomach problem which he heard and understood but just shrugged as he balanced 2 more packs on top and trotted off to find an empty check out.   There were none and I queued behind him with my single pack expecting him to be told he could only have maybe 2 packs but it did not happen. I counted 12 packs on his trolley.
As I walked back to my car I heard excited people, on spying what I was carrying, saying they'd better get a few packs. 
Am I the one who has got it wrong?
I should perhaps add that I checked opening times for the store and it was 9am but it had obviously opened way before then this morning.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2020, 10:29:24 am by frankie »

Clare Shirley

• Administrator
Re: Panic buying?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 10:46:19 am »
Someone started buying lots and then it has just spiralled. I went in at lunchtime yesterday to get some gluten free bread. no bog roll no meat no veggies

What does this mean? That due to the market being cancelled I went in this morning along with another 100 folks to pick up my weekly shop which I normally do on a saturday afternoon but was forced to do it today so at least we have some spuds.

I bought my usual quota of food nothing more nothing less because its not fair to those coming behind me.

The selfish Spanish ladies taking 3 or 4 packs of every meat leaves a lot to be desired.

I got two packs of loo rolls. One for each bathroom

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 11:17:50 am »
On my near to medical centre at 8.55 this morning Mercadona's car park was heaving with people and the queue of cars waiting to get into the parking went right back to the laundrette!  Absolutely crazy.

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 01:59:19 pm »
Being a person that knows nothing much about medical matters I cannot understand why, if you get a flu virus, you need loads of toilet rolls??

FOGGY

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 02:23:21 pm »
I’ve just come from mercadona, all I wanted were bananas, chicken breast,bread and milk.
No meat whatsoever a few loose bananas, bread nearly gone, no milk. Plenty of stupid people though. Oh no bog roll, baby wipes 10 packets left.
For the life of me I don’t get the bog roll thing. My daughter WhatsApp me this morning from Aldi in U.K. exactly the same. When will people start killing each other !!!
Also a English woman in front of me sneezed all over the conveyor belt that had shopping on it, didn’t even attempt to cover up. She then stood, after being served-at the end of the checkout talking on her Nokia for 2 or 3 minutes preventing the movement of others, a utter pig in the first order.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2020, 02:32:36 pm by FOGGY »

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 02:26:02 pm »
They have all that at Coviran Arboleas and lots of bog roll.  They must have had a special delivery as it's on a pallet in the middle of the aisle

FOGGY

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 02:33:53 pm »
Never thought of going there, did get some milk in dia

olly

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 03:44:29 pm »
 Oops!
Maybe you should have kept that one to yourself Judi.
The idiots will all be heading there and emptying it now.

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 04:03:06 pm »
On the way to medical center this am Dia was having a delivery, I only wanted the twin pack of chicken.  Went out at 11.30, no meat at all and some wag on Albox chatter commented that as the Dia car park was full, we must be in trouble.

Drax

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 04:31:37 pm »
The supermarkets and other food shops must be loving this : they have daily restocking/deliveries and the fools that are buying everything up will probably throw away all their fresh products in a few days time. Food shopping can never be banned/closed down.

If you don't want to endure the mass panic, order online for home delivery
https://www.telecompra.mercadona.es/ns/entrada.php?js=1 for instance

jimmymac

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 06:34:46 pm »
Can't understand the need for panic buying of loo rolls, perhaps they can be eaten or drunk when food and water shortages occur. Can honestly say, never ever known people to re-act so crazy to an event such as this virus threat. Still think it's a Chinese plot to control and cull us golden oldies!

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar, 2020, 06:47:46 pm »
Problem is Drax there may not be anything left to order on line. :sad:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar, 2020, 10:26:16 am »
If you think yesterday was bad, today is 100 times worse.
I realised I had forgotten to get water so thought I'd be clever and get down to Merkies by 8.45 as they had obviously opened early yesterday. I managed to get my 2 front wheels onto the 'in' ramp for the store and stopped.  It was obvious the downstairs carpark was full and cars were being directed up stairs.  There were a mass of people at the door, trolleys at the ready, all prepared to do battle as soon as the doors were opened.
The upstairs carpark was almost full but I did find a space and went straight to the water.  None of the 6 litre or 8 litre bottles and just 2 large bottles of the more expensive stuff.  I took one bottle and then an argument started over the last one....
People were bashing trolleys piled with meat and alcohol and there was no long life milk.  I have never seen so many people in there, even on the first day they opened. 
When I went up to collect my car the upper level was also full and a waiting 4X4 parked in my space almost before I'd moved out.  Then, I saw cars parked along the sides of the down ramp as there was nowhere else....
All this was happening only just after 9 am.  Madness....

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar, 2020, 12:14:48 pm »
As I drove past mercadona in Albox, similar thing and the most creative parking in the surrounding streets.  Crazy

Drax

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar, 2020, 03:12:39 pm »
Driving straight through Lidl on the way to Fontalmanzora around about 13:15 today there was not a space in the car park and vehicles waiting for people to leave. Chaos is putting it mildly..
I was surprised because the trolleys coming out were full up and those just arriving must be very disappointed with "nothing left"

It reminded me of Christmas Eve in the UK at places like Tesco or Sainsburys, families there with a trolley each!! All the shops were back open Boxing Day so it was like "What are you guys doing: feeding the 5 thousand..????"
 :crazy: :omg: