Author Topic: Money for visitors to bring?  (Read 5460 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Money for visitors to bring?
« on: 01 May, 2022, 12:18:52 pm »
Visitors coming in 2 weeks have been told they must show they have 700pounds each before entering Spain.  I've tried to find out if this is true but there is nothing on Govt website.  Has anyone else heard this?  It does seem a lot...

Lmj19

Re: Money for visitors to bring?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2022, 01:00:13 pm »
If travelers wish to visit the European Union and have a non-EU passport, there can be some obstacles. Getting the Schengen Visa—depending on where you come from—can be a challenging process, but there are additional steps any foreigner may need to take before traveling.

Unknown to many, travelers visiting from third countries (countries outside the EU) may have to prove they have 100 Euros per day of spending money to enter EU nations like Spain and France.

For many travelers, this isn’t an issue; for budget travelers, this could cause some problems.
According to EU law on entry from third countries, travelers from non-Schengen and non-EU nations technically need to show proof of financial support for their entire stay in the Schengen Zone.

They will be doing random checks apparently.
This is similar to Uk for certain countries, my nephew’s friend always has to prove this when travelling on his Australian passport

Drax

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2022, 06:01:44 pm »
This sounds like a load of fun for killing off tourism, let's say I was with a tour company coming on holiday with wife and 2 kids in an all-inclusive hotel. Don't think I'd need 5,600 euros for my 2 week jollies...

It's May 1st, not April  :whistle:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2022, 07:28:59 pm »
My visitors are from UK.  I hadn't heard of anyone needing that much money, either,,,   
I can remember having to hide cash in my shoes at one time when going abroad when we were only permitted to take about 50 pounds out of UK for foreign holidays..

jimmymac

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2022, 10:50:27 pm »
Never ever heard of this, not saying that it's not correct but  does it have to be in cash or do you have to have a debit/ credit card to cover it? :undecided:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2022, 08:33:03 am »
I could find nothing about this online, apart from what Lmj19 says.  They will not be bringing that ort of money with them but if it is correct, then it will need to be via a credit card...

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2022, 09:52:58 am »
From what I have read it does not need to be in cash but if you have cards they can ask for proof that money is available on the card (such as balance enquiry at ATM) this is something that could be asked for any third country nationals arriving in Spain (or many other countries around the world), the checks are likely to be very random.  It appears they are checking most tourists arriving in Gibraltar and then crossing to Spain but that is due more to the political situation than anything else and is probably what started this info doing the rounds.

Lmj19

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2022, 12:03:24 pm »
From what I have read it does not need to be in cash but if you have cards they can ask for proof that money is available on the card (such as balance enquiry at ATM) this is something that could be asked for any third country nationals arriving in Spain (or many other countries around the world), the checks are likely to be very random.  It appears they are checking most tourists arriving in Gibraltar and then crossing to Spain but that is due more to the political situation than anything else and is probably what started this info doing the rounds.

Spot on.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2022, 01:31:23 pm »
Thanks, Shelav, that makes more sense...