Author Topic: Wasps!  (Read 5636 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Wasps!
« on: 09 Jul, 2023, 12:25:13 pm »
I react quite badly to wasp stings.  This morning, going up to my roof terrace I was stung by loads of them...  It appears there is a nest under the metal  stairs.  Having got to tthe top and counting how many times they'd got me, I realised I had to get down again!  I waited until they seemed to have calmed down and tried to tip toe down.  Didn't work and this time I was attacked and they even followed me to my door, stinging all the way.  I immediately used my Epipen and took 2 antihistamines.  I have counted 21 stings, the worst being a cluster behind my right knee which has puffed up nicely. The most I've had in one go was 5 on my hand whenI put it down on one.  Bit concerned how these will progress...
Obviously I want rid of the nest.  Does anyone know if there are people who do that here?  Would my Ayuntamiento know?

Roscoe

• Administrator
Re: Wasps!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul, 2023, 02:26:16 pm »
I am the same Frankie I react very badly with one sting.  Had the same problem with my terrace stairs.  Wait until dusk and spray any insect repellent and this should work and again before sunrise.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul, 2023, 02:42:15 pm »
Thank you Roscoe!  I seem to remember you saying before that you react like me  and it may have been your suggestion to ask Dr for Epipens?
I've found a company in Albox which does Pest control so will ring them tomorrow.  I had a look at the nest (from a distance)and it's not as big as a fooitball but cettainly bigger than a tennis ball.  I don't want to give them the chance to attack me again.... Never had this many before.  I took great delight in spraying those that followed me inside with Maton...

Drax

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul, 2023, 03:50:55 pm »
I've been told by our Spanish friends that first thing in the morning is a great time, before it starts to warm up because they are still docile.

7-8am spray the nest then wait 10-15 minutes, another dose and hey presto. Later in the day sweep up all the dead, knock down the nest with a long stick and bingo.

The only sensible use of chemical warfare I can think of.  :wink:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul, 2023, 03:28:22 pm »
A Spanish friend came and did the job for me at 9.30 on monday evening..  He asked me to show him where the nest was and as I was showing him, he started spraying.  Dead wasps were falling all around him as I ran inside!  How come he wasn't being stung like I was???
He pulled the empty nest down and put it in a carrier bag-  He then looked under the other steps and found 2 more nests, which he treated the same way! As he was leaving he saw the big black bin bags full of garden rubbish I'd accumulated since his last visit and loaded them into his van,  all 6 of them and drove off, with his German Shpherd squashed into the back... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul, 2023, 09:05:02 am »
That is fantastic

Drax

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul, 2023, 04:59:15 pm »
A friend indeed, I find that with the Spanish.. eager and happy to help.  :thumbsup:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul, 2023, 12:45:59 pm »
Less than a week later, I've fond another nest, just a short distance than then first and under the same stair!!!  I'm going to put my big girl panties on and do the same as Manolito.  I'll wait until nearly dark to do it....
I agree, Drax, I've always found them helpful, espcially as they know I live alone...

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul, 2023, 05:19:30 pm »
The wasps this year realky have it in for me, I expect, as I was principle in killing off a couple pf other nests.  This morning, as I was tying up a shrub which needed support, I felt another sting.  It's in the mechanism of my hose reel.  It will be exterminated this evening.  As I hadn't bought a new Epipen, I drove to Urgencia and was given  another injection.  I did ask for a pescription for thr Epipen but need to see DR for that.   Despite the jab, my hand is swollen from finger, which is where I was 'got', to near my elbow.  I think I need a mozzie screen all over my 1,200 sq, mtr garden...
« Last Edit: 31 Jul, 2023, 08:39:24 am by frankie »

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul, 2023, 07:01:40 pm »
We haven't got many down here this year.  Obviously all up in Somontín

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul, 2023, 08:41:08 am »
 :cool: :huh: :whistle: :lips-sealed: :blank: :blank: