Author Topic: Somontin  (Read 10529 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Somontin
« on: 15 May, 2019, 08:12:41 pm »
This is my village.  It is a turning off the main road up towards Baza, after Olula del Rio.  Around 850 mtrs above sea level there is an amazing balcony over the valley giving an amazing view all around.  It truly will take your breath away.  There are several bars and I understand th pool bar is now serving hot food (I have yet to try their food).  We also have a bakers, mini supermarket (not a lot that is super about it),  2 butchers and on fridAy the fish van calls and on sunday there is a market, usually consisting of a fruit and veg stall, a clothing stall,  hard goods stall with pots and pans and, if we are really lucky, there maybe a North African stall with sunglasses, wallets , belts etc but only if he cannot find a pitch at Fines market which is on the same day!
It always surprises me when I hear people who live here have not ventured north of Albox.  The Almanzora valley from Albox up to Baza is a beautiful place, with lots to explore.  How many of you have been u to see Las Menos the abandoned village? It's a stunning pace to take visitors.  Then there is the natural pool at Cela. Surrounded by bars and restaurants, it has a constant temperature throughout the year and the water has a really beneficial affect on the skin and is great for swimming...
I am happy to act as tour guide....  :whistle:

Doreen

Re: Somontin
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2019, 08:32:27 pm »
Well said Frankie, we happened on it on our way back from Baza once and said we would do a better tour, which we did. A beautiful area of the country, and as you say on the doorstep of Albox/Arboleas.
Btw, I'm sure you would make a great tour guide 👍🏻

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2019, 05:08:47 pm »
I did it for several people who arrived here after me and it was fun.  It was great showing them places I'd discovered when I first arrived.  I used to just get into the car and drive - it never bothered me that I'd get lost as I found some lovely spots.
There is an incredible view from the top of the Witch's Tit on a clear day...

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2019, 05:18:55 pm »
Frankie, whereabouts is Los Menos abandoned village?  We always take visitors to the pool at Cela as it is a lovely day out, often we take a picnic, I hadn't heard of Los Menos but it sounds interesting.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:01:50 pm »
http://www.turismoseron.es/industrial/las-menas-poblado-minero It is wonderful, it had houses ,school, hospital.  UK miners started it.  Not open in the winter but invthe summer there is a bar/ cafe

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:18:49 am »
Not sure how long ago you went up there, Judi, but they have now renovated several of the old buildings and they're open to the public in summer.
The cafe is very basic and I would not expect anything like a meal there.  Depending on supplies, you may be lucky and could have a burger...

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:22:10 am »
Another place worth a visit is the Museo Casa Ibenez in Olula

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:29:11 am »
There is masses of work being done there now and it looks like the carpark is being concreted, the Head (the largest marble statue in Andalucia) is being floodlit at night and there is a new garden being made.