Author Topic: Plastic  (Read 6835 times)

Roscoe

• Administrator
Plastic
« on: 29 Sep, 2019, 11:57:33 am »
With the uproar over plastic waste, somebody at Mercadona has decided to change from cartons to plastic bottles for all fresh milk. :angry:

Drax

Re: Plastic
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep, 2019, 01:40:54 pm »
Yes, they are absolute rubbish, don't fit in the fridge as well as the bricks and fall over if not wedged in.

6th of this month, a brick was 0.79
on the 25th it was 0.89 for the bottle.

so we are paying more for the use of plastic  :angry:

Drax

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »
and don't even get me started on those stupid plastic trolleys with locking wheels !!!

Raymondo

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep, 2019, 03:45:47 pm »
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8M69DcuRFSqyKB5eMF-1qJt3P2zxx3VAlJ9O1eU6R8rSj4PkYRQ
Thank god the Gota Fria is over and we have real issues to worry about.   Trollies Locking ???  😂😂😁😁
« Last Edit: 29 Sep, 2019, 03:48:25 pm by Raymondo »

cagzok

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep, 2019, 04:14:46 pm »
 :cheesy: :cheesy:

Drax

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep, 2019, 06:49:13 pm »
Thank god the Gota Fria is over and we have real issues to worry about.   Trollies Locking ???  😂😂😁😁
Have you nothing better to do than drink tubos and make stupid comments??

Raymondo

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep, 2019, 12:08:58 am »
Whats a Tubo ?? And why would you put Bricks in the fridge ??
😂😂

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep, 2019, 09:03:39 am »
 The locking trolleys are not a problem up here in the Olula Merkies.  There is far too  little designated parking down at the Albox one, so people need to take full trolleys out of the store, causing them to  lock.  I think Merkies should rethink the trolley situation down  there.  I have the long life milk so not a problem fitting mine in fridge...
There are advantages to living in 'no man's land'.

Raymondo

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep, 2019, 09:40:16 am »
Locking trollies in Mercadona  were introduced because people were walking away with the trollies and just leaving them regardless of the euro  and trollies can be seen in the Ramblas and even in one neighbours garden full of logs for the winter. They used to leave them on the footpath and they rolled into cars . Even walking to their cars outside i have seen them bump into cars causing damage and just walking on .
Unfortunately it makes life harder for some older and disabled  people  but trollies are an expensive item for supermarkets.
The staff will take your shopping to your car outside if you need it badly and i have seen them do that
We just drive into the free car park over the shop and car is safer and a lift up and down , leave the trolly there and easy in and out. Even time for a coffee before leaving free car park.
Great service. Unless of course someone knows better ??

BRIMAR

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep, 2019, 02:03:53 pm »
With the uproar over plastic waste, somebody at Mercadona has decided to change from cartons to plastic bottles for all fresh milk. :angry:

We need to realise that that not all plastic is bad. The recent hoo-hah is wrongly giving the whole plastic production and their uses a bad name.

High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) plastic bottles are a popular packaging choice for the milk and fresh juice markets.
Firstly, it’s the only plastic bottle type that can be used as a monolayer bottle for sterilized milk, or as a bottle with barrier layers for UHT.

HDPE is also one of the easiest plastic polymers to recycle. The plastic can be easily sorted and cleaned.

Cartons however are made by 7 layers of different materials (75% of cardboard, 20% of plastic, and 5% of aluminium).

To recycle cartons, different processes are needed to separate all the individual layers and some municipalities are reluctant to pay the costs needed to do this.

However, this biggest problem with recycling carton waste for countries like Spain is the amount water involved in the process.  It takes a tremendous amount of water to recycle the 7 layers and so is not always an option for some countries where water is a problem.

The only option then is for the carton to be either incinerated or sent to landfill, both of which come with added problems.

So, it might just be that Mercadona has in fact made the best decision. 

AnnieM

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep, 2019, 07:26:24 pm »
Good post Brimar. 👏👏

Raymondo

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep, 2019, 07:45:28 pm »
Yes , good post , i didnt know most of that.
Thought the post about the bottle not fitting in the fridge was hillarious. ??
Maybe a bigger fridge needed. The things we worry about.??
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/food-and-drink/2018/06/29/Mini-fridge_trans%2B%2Beo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.png

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #12 on: 03 Oct, 2019, 08:46:36 am »
Nice to see that Lidl now have recyclable plastic bags for their fruit and veg etc.  The farmacias have been using them for several years.