Author Topic: Grace Murder.  (Read 6263 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Grace Murder.
« on: 22 Nov, 2019, 02:14:18 pm »
Can anyone explain why the murderer of this back packer still cannot be named?   I had thought that his name was being withheld until the verdict was in but as he has now been found guilty it does not make sense....

FOGGY

Re: Grace Murder.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov, 2019, 02:32:52 pm »
Evil Bastar*d will do.

Drax

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov, 2019, 03:26:19 pm »
Some sort of New Zealand law which was applied when a suspect with the initials JK was arrested last year.  At that time International law did not apply and his name (as a 26 year old) was published by The Independent on 10/12/2018. That article is still online but no notes to say the suspect was later released (or convicted).

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov, 2019, 10:58:39 am »
That's interesting and possibly the same reason the local papers here only print initials of people arrested.  I did wonder...
Thank you... :tiphat:

Drax

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov, 2019, 12:09:38 pm »
Sorry Frankie, I didn't mean it was only the initials in the Independent but I didn't want to put the full name in case we get told off  :undecided:

However the Daily Mail Online has revealed his name today and a picture together with the gory details
https://tinyurl.com/uh7q4gz
« Last Edit: 23 Nov, 2019, 12:13:43 pm by Drax »

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »
Yes, I wonder how many others he has dupped?  It is doubtful Grace was the first, especially as he had another 'date' off Tinder the very next night!!!

BRIMAR

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov, 2019, 05:27:11 pm »
It seems the media have been banned from naming him for another two years, and won't be able to reveal the identity of the man until 2021.

The suppression of a defendant's identity usually lasts for two years in case any other related legal cases need to be investigated (which would also benefit from anonymity) or if the defendant wanted to appeal the verdict.

Grace's murderer is set to be sentenced in February 2020, at which point the judge may choose to lift the order.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov, 2019, 06:54:41 pm »
I have often thought that any defendant's details should be withheld until a guilty verdict has been given.  If the verdict was to be not guilty after the name was in public domain, they will still be distrusted for the rest of their lives and may have trouble getting jobs etc.

Drax

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov, 2019, 07:31:35 pm »
I agree Frankie, smoke and fire type stuff.

Brimar: there are country laws and international laws, difficult to enforce. If NZ decides not to name and someone from the UK media decides to publish then what are they going to do apart from complain. The guys name has been available since last December if you searched. NZ law ain't gonna stop it being passed on in worldwide social media channels.

Maybe right, maybe wrong, but in the end he'll be much older if we ever see him in the outside world again  :thumbsup: :clap: [need a "fingers crossed" please]
 :tiphat:

BRIMAR

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov, 2019, 10:02:23 am »

Brimar: there are country laws and international laws, difficult to enforce. If NZ decides not to name and someone from the UK media decides to publish then what are they going to do apart from complain. The guys name has been available since last December if you searched. NZ law ain't gonna stop it being passed on in worldwide social media channels.

True, these suppression laws only apply in New Zealand.
I understand the UK media did mention his name at the outset and that after there were over 100,000 google searches made about the defendant in NZ the judges appealed to the international media to withhold naming him so that Graces family could get justice.

I'm just speechless that for once the British press actually co-operated!  :shocked: