Author Topic: Pandemic  (Read 9365 times)

Ukulele

Pandemic
« on: 09 Mar, 2020, 10:25:53 pm »
So it looks as if the coronavirus is well established further north in Spain, and will very likely move south.

Perhaps this is the time for this forum to do what it does best.

Share information, without spreading panic or unfounded gossip.

I went on the internet, and the only useful information I gleaned was that the coronavirus helpline number in Spain  was 061.

Maybe that is all the official information we need.

But, if the situation changes, perhaps we need a dedicated board, so that if times get tough, we can share information and support each

other.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
Re: Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar, 2020, 07:44:40 am »
Good idea.  I do think that we are less likely to have a problem in such a rural area.  The biggest concentrations of the virus so far have been in cities

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar, 2020, 11:01:22 am »
Well said Ukelele.  My worry is the amount of people coming over from the UK  this Easter to our area by various forms of travel.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar, 2020, 02:26:32 pm »
The visitors to this area could pose the strongest threat to us but are more likely to be hit down on the Costas.  I just think we need to play it by ear as time goes on.
I'm off now to buy all the toilet roll stock Mercadona has.... :wink:

Ukulele

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar, 2020, 05:43:31 pm »
If you think you have contracted coronavirus, this is the number you should ring for help and advice.

955 54 50 60

The advice is, phone the number, do not go to the health centre or hospital.

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar, 2020, 05:57:43 pm »
Cantoria have cancelled  all cultural  and sporting events for the foreseeable future to try and contain the virus.  On Facebook a quiz night has asked whether their regulars want to carry on, all seem happy to carry on.

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar, 2020, 05:59:21 pm »
Thanks Ukelele, but I have read you can call on 061.

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 11:51:49 am »
From Albox last night

Buenas noches.
Ante la evolución de la actual situación sanitaria por el coronavirus en toda ESPAÑA , el Ayuntamiento de ALBOX va a poner en marcha, de modo inmediato y mediante publicación de un bando, que:
A partir de mañana el CIERRE de todas las dependencias municipales culturales y deportivas, bibliotecas municipales, escuela de música y TAMBIÉN QUEDAN SUSPENDIDAS TODAS LAS ESCUELAS MUNICIPALES DEPORTIVAS, CINE, CULTURALES, PREGÓN SEMANA SANTA, TODOS LOS TALLERES Y ACTIVIDADES PROGRAMADAS Y MERCADOS SEMANALES.
Estas disposiciones se aplicarán de modo temporal y estarán siempre supeditadas a la evolución y seguimiento de la situación que están haciendo las autoridades sanitarias.

Espero entiendan la decisión, es como medida de prevención.
Saludos

Also friends went to Mercadona..NO MEAT except frozen.  Lidl was as normal

nanaspain

Re: Pandemic - update from Albox Mayor
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 11:53:00 am »
Hi all - for information, this statement was issued by the Mayor of Albox yesterday evening and is a translation of the post Judi made whilst I was typing this !!:-

Neighbors:
Good night.
In view of the evolution of the current health situation due to the coronavirus in all of SPAIN, the ALBOX City Council is going to start up, immediately and by publishing a statement, that:
 As of tomorrow, the CLOSING of all municipal cultural and sports units, municipal libraries, music school and ALSO ALL MUNICIPAL SPORTS SCHOOLS, CINEMA, CULTURAL, HOLY WEEK, ALL WORKSHOPS AND PROGRAMMED ACTIVITIES AND WEEKLY MARKETS.
 These provisions will be applied temporarily and will always be subject to the evolution and monitoring of the situation that the health authorities are doing.

I hope you understand the decision, it is as a preventive measure.

Drax

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 01:07:06 pm »
But not the bars or education schools  :whistle:

Drax

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 01:28:42 pm »
Advice being passed around
I'm sure we all want to take responsibility for ourselves and those around us. I hope you find these simple notes useful

DAILY CHECK:

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In this critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

STAY SAFE

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »
I am curious re one of the below, Drax.  It is number 3, concerning heat.  If that is the case, how come it has spread in a number of countries in the Southern hemisphere, far hotter than here?  What makes them say it dos not survive in heat as they are still learning how it will behave as it is a new strain?

jimmymac

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 05:14:44 pm »
Good point frankie about the heat. Seeing that we have had record breaking March temperatures of 31C yesterday and 29C today, one would have thought that Corona would be dead in this area or at least mortally wounded by now. Never mind still carry on washing my hands in case it's still lurking around.... :tiphat:

Drax

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 07:03:15 pm »

BRIMAR

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar, 2020, 10:24:53 pm »
Advice being passed around
I'm sure we all want to take responsibility for ourselves and those around us. I hope you find these simple notes useful

Seems that this advice might in fact be questionable, if not false.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/coronavirus-drink-water-advice-debunk[/size]