Author Topic: Devastated!  (Read 11148 times)

frankie

• Slimmers group
Devastated!
« on: 08 Jan, 2020, 03:55:30 pm »
At the beginning of xmas week my 13 yr old lilac Burmese, Joey, who'd been at the vets for 10 days, came home.  The only thing they were doing was giving him a drip but as soon as he came off it he would become very ill again.  He has advanced cirrhosis of the liver., so no chance of regeneration.  He refused to eat or drink and was becoming more and more depressed.  No sooner had I got him home than he was demanding food!  Instead of the couple of days with me before taking him back for that 'final' injection, he is still with me. He is painfully thin but is in no pain and is eating and drinking OK.
Today, I took his brother to the vet.  I knew one of the 3 cats was peeing in the house but did not know which one until I saw Rojo last night.  He refused his breakfast this morning and he has been a bit off colour for the past week.  It turns out he is diabetic.  I then asked for a full blood test to be done to see the extent of it.  Normal is between 50 and 100.  His was 516.  Not only that but the blood test showed he has kidney problems. I have left him with the vet as he needs 2 injections, 12 hours apart.  I have 2 days to decide what to do if he does not respond....
I cannot believe that both of them are fading fast together.

Clare Shirley

• Administrator
Re: Devastated!
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jan, 2020, 05:21:57 pm »
oh no thats awful. Always comes down to quality of life over all other aspects, if they eat, drink. poop and are happy then keep going but sometimes we just have to say goodbye.

We lost our gizmo two years ago this March. I still miss her and Charlie doesnt really make me forget she was my first baby but she could no longer walk due to the tumor on her pelvis and I sobbed my heart out when she went to sleep.

A Big hug for you Frankie. Its a very hard decision to make

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jan, 2020, 06:52:07 pm »
So sorry Frankie it is so hard.  In UK we kept z diabetic cat going for 3 years, injecting twice a day but she was not so old.  Xxxxx

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jan, 2020, 07:08:38 pm »
Thank you Clare! :kiss:
The vet has just phoned me to say there is no change but he is purring all the time as they are making a fuss of him.   As vet says, Judi, the diabetes alone would not have presented such a problem as I could give him the injections but taken with the kidney problem it may not be feasible.
I have to see how he is on friday...

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan, 2020, 02:00:09 pm »
Sad day here.  Rojo passed away this morning....

Wolfie

« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan, 2020, 02:06:27 pm »
That's very sad for you Frankie - at least he's out of pain now.  RIP.

Clare Shirley

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan, 2020, 02:17:17 pm »
Very sad news frankie

More big hugs to you

Im so sorry

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jan, 2020, 02:17:55 pm »
 :cry:  so very, very sorry Frankie

Drax

« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan, 2020, 05:53:48 pm »
Sorry to hear your sad news frankie  :cry:

val

• Slimmers group
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan, 2020, 08:49:27 am »
Sorry for your sad news Frankie. Sending hugs.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan, 2020, 09:59:20 am »
Thank you people.  I have noticed his brother who has terminal scirrosis of his liver, is missing him.  They always hated each other but in the past 12 months I have noticed that they were rarely more than about 5mtrs away from each other.  When one shot through the catflap the other would be immediately behind.  It is hard when one leaves and the other is left, so I am giving him lots of cuddles which benefit both of us...

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan, 2020, 10:49:02 am »
So sorry Frankie, I know how you are feeling, gone but never forgotten.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan, 2020, 01:36:34 pm »
No, they always leave paw prints on you heart!

cagzok

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan, 2020, 05:06:52 pm »
Ive just read this thread and I cant tell you how sorry I am to hear this,I know they mean the world to you,as we often talked "cats".   We left 3 buried in our garden in France,and like you there will be an empty space for a long time.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan, 2020, 06:33:20 pm »
Thank you! I know that anyone who has been owned by a pet, be it dog, cat, horse or bird, will know how I feel about losing one of my little Family.  He was here with me just a week ago and I had no idea there was to be a dramatic couple of days coming.  It is worse because I know his brother only has a short time left as well...