Author Topic: SIP card  (Read 8610 times)

JessicaH

SIP card
« on: 30 May, 2020, 02:31:18 pm »
Anyone had to renew their health card recently.
Have permanent green card and a tax resident so wondering if it’s simply a case of going to main health centre or does have to go through the same interview procedure as before.
Appreciate I am in Murcia but for the moment assume rules are similar.
Thx

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: SIP card
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2020, 05:52:33 pm »
I didn't know they had to be renewed?

Drax

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2020, 06:09:47 pm »
Every four years the info says but we've had ours for over 7 years and never needed to renew... looking into it further it seems there are regional differences and Murcia is every 5 years, in Andalucia it doesn't expire.

I guess you need to ask at your heath centre (that's where I'd begin my journey) and they'll point you in the right direction hopefully. :tiphat: :thumbsup:

Quietman

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2020, 06:24:44 pm »
JessicaH, go to Sutellno front desk, they will arrange a time to go to the office on the right of the desk. From memory, I took any medical papers, but only needed my old card. They said it would come by post, but we had 2 attempts before it arrived.
It took a few weeks, but the old card can still be used.
Obviously, at the present time, things may be slightly different.

JessicaH

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2020, 07:31:58 pm »
Thanks everyone.  :tiphat:
You Andalusians are fortunate. Seems every couple of years we have to renew something in Murcia.

Quietman, that is exactly what I was was thinking of doing.
But inquired because a Brit neighbour said the receptionist at their local surgery, not ours , did it for them !!

Hoping, having already been through the interview process @ Sutullena Salud, fortunately without problems, that  this time it will be a case of simply renewing.
We shall see 🤞
Having to use it now to log in when at Raphael Mendez don’t want it to be voided.

Drax

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2020, 12:13:23 pm »
You Andalusians are fortunate. Seems every couple of years we have to renew something in Murcia.

Lol, I believe there may be a reason or two for this..

In Murcia, they need to occasionally check who has moved out or passed away, Andalucia doesn't mind so long as it keeps the numbers up for government aid.
In Murcia, you've got office blocks full of workers to fill out the forms and process paperwork, Andalucia just wants fields full of fruit and veg. pickers.
 :laugh:

JessicaH

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun, 2020, 01:07:08 pm »
Info and query for Spanish residents on this forum.
Called into health centre In Murcia this morning and told new card will be there from August. They will either phone us or we can pop in then.
So that’s sorted.

However noticed office where we had to be interviewed ( for checking residential and financial status)  before getting this card has gone.
So wondering if this means that because of Brexit new retirees from UK relocating here will have to have private medical insurance, perhaps even for emergencies.
I could always understand UK having a reciprocal agreement between those working but, although NHS a pay Spain  towards our medical needs, this  really only scratches the surface, it has always concerned me that this agreement may not cover future Brit pensioners.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun, 2020, 02:46:17 pm »
So far as I understand we have been guaranteed health care as at present until the end of 2020.  I do wonder what may happen after that date....  Does anyone know the definitive answer?

JessicaH

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun, 2020, 02:56:19 pm »
We live in hope, Frankie.
Those who emigrated to Commonwealth countries were never so fortunate. They even had their state pensions come to a full stop. No future growth or increases.
Now with this pandemic governments are, financially, scraping the barrel and, I suspect, we expats will be the first to feel the sting :sad:

jimmymac

« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun, 2020, 05:44:25 pm »
Could be a problem about health cover at the end of this year. Haven't seen anything from official sources about it, sorry frankie just have to wait and see! :undecided:

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jun, 2020, 06:38:06 pm »
I wonder then, if we do need to have health insurance which many of us will not be able to afford, will the UK Govt pay this for us on the basis that it will cost them far more if we are forced to return to UK needing access to NHS and possibly housing?
Did I just see a pink pig fly over my house.... :wink:

Billy1

« Reply #11 on: 04 Jul, 2020, 02:28:53 pm »
  Hi, from website: Living in Spain-GOV.UK.  If you are a resident in Spain after 31st December 2020, (the transition period), you will be covered by the withdrawal agreement and your rights (nhs, pensions etc) will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Spain...  After that if you not a resident by the end of the year who knows!  Probably compulsory medical insurance or similar.

Billy1

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jul, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »
  Sorry my last post should have read "a resident in Spain before 31st December".

Drax

« Reply #13 on: 04 Jul, 2020, 03:29:09 pm »
The main criteria is "RESIDENT" - that does NOT mean living here - it means being on the system as a RESIDENT.

Visas and residency
You must register as a Spanish resident if you want to stay in Spain for more than 3 months.
You will get a green A4 certificate or credit card-sized piece of paper from Extranjeria or the police.

Residency
If you are resident in Spain before the transition period ends on 31 December 2020, you will be able to stay.

If you arrive in Spain before 31 December 2020, you will be able to register as resident in Spain under the current rules, and will have your right to residence in Spain protected for as long as you remain resident.

If there are changes to residency registration processes we will update this guidance as soon as information is available.

Healthcare
If you are living in Spain or move there permanently before 31 December 2020, you’ll have life-long healthcare rights in Spain as you do now, provided you remain resident.

For more information:
Read the Spanish government’s guidance for UK nationals in Spain

I don't think that is ambiguous at all but, as you say Billy, if not a RESIDENT - who knows! 🥰

Billy1

« Reply #14 on: 04 Jul, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
 Thanks Drax, super reply, loads of info for everyone.