Author Topic: What if someone had been in the way?  (Read 4546 times)

Judi_bk

• Administrator
What if someone had been in the way?
« on: 26 Jun, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »
B##$€### parked my car at Lidle, got bags out of back, locked it walked to store, a good 50ft away I hear someone exclaim loudly and then shout "is this your car?" No I said, mine is over ther........but it wasnt.   Mustn't have put the handbrake on enough  or at all, it had rolled back and smashed into someone's  car.  Sat in Lidl car park in this heat phoning Linea Directa and filling in an accident form in this heat is not good for the blood pressure.  Feeling a prat.  Damage to both cars not huge but still feeling shakey and fed up.  The couple  a Maggie Nightingale and hubby were lovely  buggershitdamn

Think my wing mirror is toast

frankie

• Slimmers group
Re: What if someone had been in the way?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun, 2020, 07:47:23 pm »
Are there slopes in Lidl car park ?  I'd never have guessed.  It can happen to anyone Judi, which is why it's called an accident.  Are you still shaken?  Take it from someone who knows from experience, a glass of brandy works wonders! :kiss:

shelav

• Slimmers group
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun, 2020, 09:16:11 pm »
Oh Judi how awful - I did the same in the UK years ago in a B&Q car park but fortunately did not hit any other cars, just couldn't find my car when I came out!

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun, 2020, 10:03:25 pm »
Thank you both xxx

olly

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun, 2020, 04:22:01 pm »
Your not the only one Judi. Was at Arby’s post office on Wednesday when a Spanish guy parked up next to me , jumped out and ran in the post office. He hadn’t put his handbrake on properly, and his car proceeded to roll backwards. Fortunately I was there to stop it and my shouting brought him back out. He had a lucky escape.                                                                                                                                               Always leave the car in gear Judi, either first or reverse, depending on which way the ground your parked on slopes.
That way if you forget your handbrake, or it’s cable fails while your away from the car, it won’t move.
Just don’t forget your in gear before you re-start the car though.

Drax

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun, 2020, 04:40:15 pm »
Good advice Olly, I always leave the car parked in gear (unless the engine is running) and always start the engine with the clutch pressed in, even if it's in neutral.

Drax

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun, 2020, 05:37:50 pm »
Funnily enough I was told of another "incident" in Lidl car park on Friday...

Shopping done, boot loaded, lady driving, gent in passenger seat. Car is an automatic, handbrake is a footbrake..

Getting in lady puts handbag between seat and door, starts up sets off .. the beep beep goes off and dashboard warning says door is not closed properly. She opens the door to slam it and handbag falls out, everything everywhere including mobile phone heading towards rear wheels, the car is going slowly of course.

Out she jumps to save contents of handbag leaving hubby without any way of stopping car, heading under autopower towards the rear upward slope... "handbrake" not available and the drive system won't let you change from drive to park or even neutral whilst running.. panic, a great deal of shouting and afterwards all is great and nothing or no one hurt...

I said they should go down to ask for a copy of the CCTV camera, it would make a fortune on Harry Enfield or somesuch  :wink:

Roscoe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun, 2020, 06:49:52 am »
Sorry to hear that Judi and no one was hurt.
Several years ago my husband drove us in my car and parked in Albox rambler, when we got back to the car, no car!  There was a guy sitting in his car which we had parked next to and we asked him did he know what had happened to my car and he pointed down the rambler.

frankie

• Slimmers group
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun, 2020, 10:00:33 am »
Thanks Roscoe that has really made e laugh!! 
Nearly all the bumps and scrapes to my car have been while I've parked in a Supermarket Carpark.  I now park miles away from anyone else. The Merkies in Olula have a huge upper deck and I am often the only one up there...
I hit a Merc one day  I was reversing out of a tight spot.  When I'd parked there was no one either side of me but the car on drivers side was very close and I was making sure I did not hit it and hit the Merc. instead.  I left a note on his windscreen and when he rang asked him to get a couple of quotes for th damage.  We met up again when he'd done that and we both decided on the middle price.  It was only then that he told me he'd only had the car for 4 days!!!

Judi_bk

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun, 2020, 12:58:11 pm »
I always used to leave my car in gear until I got married and he used to complain that whenever he got in the car it was in gear and that was dangerous as it jumped forward.  His driving hasn't  improved, oh and he isn't on forums or Facebook.  You can't  start the VW without depressing the clutch anyway so in future I will